RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

HSS Podcast 288 Discussion: QNAP vs. Server vs. Synology

This does not sound like a plex issue but rather something in your plex server or network.  I have had my plex server on for nearly 2+ years and other than when I shut it down to move or apply patches it has been rock solid.  You should try and run some tests on the connectivity and see what is dropping out.  I am betting this is a server/NIC/Network issue and plex may be more susceptible to it where as you would not notice it otherwise.

Agreed, What kind of network card is installed on your WHS 2011 box? Anything other then an Intel 1st choice or a Broadcom 2nd choice could and probably will cause you trouble. Also make sure your server is not set to sleep because this maybe causing you trouble if the NIC is not waking up. The other thing you could check is make sure you have hard coded the network IP address as well as subnet and gateway info under the IPv4 properties, I have seen this cause trouble if the DHCP server is handing out the IP info rather then hard coding it. One last thing check your power setting and make sure its set to performance and not balanced.

This was a double post, I don't know how to delete this quote box.

Edited by itGEEKS
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• itGeeks

• awraynor

• pcdoc

• yodafett

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am loving my 2 QNAP though I am seeing the benefit of potentially having NAS with the data and using a vm to run the plex instead of straight though the nas.   My initial purpose of the QNAP was a i

great podcast -  thanks  -  the only thing missing was  John Zadler !! -  but it was good to hear from Mike Faucher again     along the lines of the followup question that Tony Raynor posed    Th

I really enjoyed this podcast. many aspects were covered in the discussions. The questions about blown mobo or a disaster situation were especially good for the discussion. Likewise, the aspect of not

I have not listened in a while - great topic and show.  

I am wondering if we could get a rundown of QNAP VS Synology, i.e. is there a clear winner?  Does it move at different price points?  What are the deciding factors between the two brands?  I am planning on moving away from my WHS2011 this fall and wonder if there is a consensus.  I suspect we will be seeing new models soon ... CES?

Cheers,

Tom

There is no clear winner as far as i am concerned. QNAP and Synology are the top runners and both great NAS units. You need to make a list of things you want to do with your NAS then go shopping, Not the other way around. Make a list check it twice then if you want you can post the list of things you want to do with you shinny new NAS and we can try and guide you in the right direction.

I recently (as in roughly 6 months ago) moved away from WHS 2011 and to Synology.  I had been contemplating this move for a while, but a lightning strike that killed my N40L was the catalyst that forced my hand. :)  Anyway, it's been a good move for me and other than the lack of bare-metal backups it's been an improvement in every possible way.   For me, the absolute killer feature on Synology is Photo Station.  Managing family photos is MUCH easier now as compared to what we were doing before.  (trying to both update a common iPhoto library)

Does QNAP offer anything similar to Photo Station?  QNAP looks similar to Synology in most every other aspect, but I don't recall seeing if they have a story around photo management.  

Are you having trouble with your new Synology box that your asking about QNAP support for Photo Station? Just wondering that's all.

QNAP does indeed offer the Photo library which is very similar to the one on the Synology but in my opinion is a bit better.  The newest version now in beta is very slick looking.  The mobile app also works extremely well.  If you like the Synology, you will definitely like the QNAP.  

\

Huh, interesting - yeah I remember looking at QNAP's website but never really found much about their photo solution.  It was all very high-level stuff, so I never got the impression that it did much more than store/protect your photos.  I'd love to hear about what you like better about QNAP photos over Synology's Photo Station, though truthfully at this point there's no way I'm switching.  (too much time invested in getting my photos in Photo Station!)

Are you having trouble with your new Synology box that your asking about QNAP support for Photo Station? Just wondering that's all.

No, not at all.  Merely curious.  I had a make a quick decision when my WHS box died, and good photo management was a must-have feature.  As I mentioned in an earlier post, judging them purely from the marketing websites I got the impression that Photo Station was ahead of everything else in the NAS space. (though maybe that's not the case??)  I'm very happy with it though, for my needs it's excellent.  

Edited by eagle63

I have not listened in a while - great topic and show.  

I am wondering if we could get a rundown of QNAP VS Synology, i.e. is there a clear winner?  Does it move at different price points?  What are the deciding factors between the two brands?  I am planning on moving away from my WHS2011 this fall and wonder if there is a consensus.  I suspect we will be seeing new models soon ... CES?

Cheers,

Tom

There is no clear winner as far as i am concerned. QNAP and Synology are the top runners and both great NAS units. That said if your looking for raw performance then I have to say QNAP has the edge because they offer Intel Duel core & Quad Core Celeron processor versions vs Synology Atom Duel Core & Quad Core. From what I hear Synology updates there software more often then QNAP but I cant confirm that as I don't yet own a QNAP. Another thing the consensus is that the Synology interface is more polished then QNAP and Synology seems to have more apps in there app store. The best thing you can do is make a list of things you want to do with your NAS then go shopping, Not the other way around. Make a list check it twice then if you want you can post the list of things you want to do with you shinny new NAS and we can try and guide you in the right direction. Another thing is checkout there demo sites so you get a hands on look at whats offered on these boxes and see what interface you like best, This will add you in your purchase.

Synology Demo Site: https://www.synology.com/en-us/dsm/live_demo

QNAP Demo Site: https://www.qnap.com/i/en/support/con_show.php?cid=8

Sorry for the partial re-post but after I edited my other post #32 I could not save it as it said I don't have permission to save it :unsure: If the mods could please delete my post #32 please.

Edited by itGEEKS

This does not sound like a plex issue but rather something in your plex server or network.  I have had my plex server on for nearly 2+ years and other than when I shut it down to move or apply patches it has been rock solid.  You should try and run some tests on the connectivity and see what is dropping out.  I am betting this is a server/NIC/Network issue and plex may be more susceptible to it where as you would not notice it otherwise.

It's a fairly frustrating issue to be sure as it's sporadic. I can have all servers functioning properly within and external to my homework. Then a few hours, few days or even a few weeks one will become disconnected. I have an exception in the Windows Firewall for the program. I have tried letting Plex configure itself as well as manually do port forwarding. At the moment my two PMS's (love the abbreviation) and Cloud Sync Folder are functioning as desired. 

I'll see how long they stay up as I did a few adjustments last night and see how it goes. I've had Plex on my 2011 box for years and now on my Windows10 box to see if the different OS/box has different behavior. Over the last few days that isn't the case, they both disconnect. Emby on the other hand in a stock install is 100% although I do favor Plex, Emby has came a long way since I tried it as Media Browser.

This was a great podcast and I am enjoying the discussion it has sparked here -- I'm pretty happy with my Synologies (Synologi?) but have never really played with QNAPs.

Dave, is anyone bringing either NAS to meetup?  It's nice to use the online demos, but also would be cool to sit down and play with one that's right there. 

I'm happy to bring a Synology that can be set up just for meetup for folks to play with.  I think there was a QNAP there last year...

I'm bringing both. Chris K did a great demo on VM on QNAP at Meetup. Let's talk him into doing another. Maybe we can do a "my basis better than yours" demo?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

It's a fairly frustrating issue to be sure as it's sporadic. I can have all servers functioning properly within and external to my homework. Then a few hours, few days or even a few weeks one will become disconnected. I have an exception in the Windows Firewall for the program. I have tried letting Plex configure itself as well as manually do port forwarding. At the moment my two PMS's (love the abbreviation) and Cloud Sync Folder are functioning as desired. 

I'll see how long they stay up as I did a few adjustments last night and see how it goes. I've had Plex on my 2011 box for years and now on my Windows10 box to see if the different OS/box has different behavior. Over the last few days that isn't the case, they both disconnect. Emby on the other hand in a stock install is 100% although I do favor Plex, Emby has came a long way since I tried it as Media Browser.

awraynor, A quick search and I found this: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/177438/plex-media-server-keeps-on-crashing

and this https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/comment/996044/#Comment_996044

and this http://forums.plex.tv/discussion/176286/pms-keeps-crashing-at-least-once-a-day-on-windows-server-2012/p1

Looking at my 3rd link as of Aug 21 2015 its still a bug and should be fixed soon but in the mean time try diabling "Refresh metadata periodically" seems to be fixing it for most peaple for now.

I remember having a problem with crashing and could not remember what fixed it, Have close look at my second link also as that was what fixed mine, Deleting the Cach.

Have a look maybe it will help you or guid you to a resalution, Let us know please.

Edited by itGEEKS

I'll look into this and thanks. Today was at work and both servers were visible on the Plex phone app. Pulled up the Plex app on my Yoga Pro and they were both

not accessible. I then signed out and signed back into my account and they showed up. What a consistently inconsistent problem.