RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

HSS Podcast 288 Discussion: QNAP vs. Server vs. Synology

itGEEKS. You must have a home IT budget that would make PC Doc jealous. That linked NAS box was really nice, but I would end

up in divorce if I bought that thing. My original 2011 box had an earlier i3 and it did transcoding fairly well via MyMovies. MyMovies

uses handbrake and that software is a resource hog.

I have around 5TB of DVD folder rips that are then transcoded via MyMovies to .mp4 files. They work well with the iPads, Plex

and with streaming. I just think the old i7 box is a bit of a power hog and a heat producer. It's very convoluted, but I guess if there

were a problem I could convert with MyMovies and use the NAS as a target. If I used 4 (4-6TB) drives that would probably hold

me for a while. I am putting most of my files in OneDrive (almost wrote SkyDrive) and it's working pretty well so otherwise I don't 

have a lot of data except around 500GB of music. 

I would love to hear what you think about QNAP vs. Synology given how you are so experienced with Synology. 

Man you have some nice gear. We are still doing a lot of remodeling to a house we bought. I'm probably getting a part-time

job to finish up this house so my tech budget isn't as generous as yours right now. 

If you only have 5TB of data then I would think you probably safe with a 4 Bay NAS with three 6TB WD Red drives in a RAID 5 to start with, That will give you around 60% free plus the extra drive bay for future growth. As for the trans-coding I think you maybe misunderstanding what we are saying with this. There are two types of trans-coding, Real-Time & head of time like "my movies" does for you now, With Plex its real-time and is y you need some good horse power otherwise you will not be happy with the stuttering or buffering then theirs my movies that trans-codes to a format a head of time for you to stream or play your media on what ever device so in many cases you may have to have 2-4 copy's of the same movie to handle the several devices you want to stream to. Using Plex is nice because you do not have to pre trans-code anything because Plex will decide on-the-fly what needs to be trans-coded and does it for you, All you have to do is rip your media to an MKV container using somthing like http://makemkv.com/ that I use and Plex will serve it up to the device. Also you would not need SkyDrive Ooops I mean OneDrive for storage if you setup a Synology or QNAP becouse these companys have moble apps that allow you to be a self hosted OneDrive/SkyDrive so no more worrying about storage fees. As for the home tech budget well lets just say that's for another discussion and please lets keep it between us :rolleyes: No really I don't have the funds any longer to play like I used to so my playing days have shrunk to a limit that I am not used to.

Edited by itGEEKS
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• itGeeks

• awraynor

• pcdoc

• yodafett

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am loving my 2 QNAP though I am seeing the benefit of potentially having NAS with the data and using a vm to run the plex instead of straight though the nas.   My initial purpose of the QNAP was a i

great podcast -  thanks  -  the only thing missing was  John Zadler !! -  but it was good to hear from Mike Faucher again     along the lines of the followup question that Tony Raynor posed    Th

I really enjoyed this podcast. many aspects were covered in the discussions. The questions about blown mobo or a disaster situation were especially good for the discussion. Likewise, the aspect of not

For me I think your recommendations are solid. I hope a NAS wouldn't have the connectivity problems I have with my 2011. It's fairly common for

my Plex Media Server to go offline, usually about the time I go away for a few days. I'm looking into Emby (MediaBrowser) to see if it's a more

reliable solution. 

For me I think your recommendations are solid. I hope a NAS wouldn't have the connectivity problems I have with my 2011. It's fairly common for

my Plex Media Server to go offline, usually about the time I go away for a few days. I'm looking into Emby (MediaBrowser) to see if it's a more

reliable solution. 

I am glad I could help. Please report back after you make your purchase and do some testing with Plex installed on it doing some real-time trans-coding, I am very interested in the results. Also as far as Plex goes its a very reliable platform but that said I had problems with it on some of the Microsoft server products, I think it had something to do with remote access being enabled on WSE but cant remember now. My only complaint I have about Plex is it does not run as a service so when you reboot or turn the computer on you need to login for Plex to run, For some reason the Plex team refuses to add this support and I don't know y. Allowing Plex to run as a service has been asked for many times over but it seems to fall on deaf ears all the time. I did manage to get around that by installing a little program called AlwaysUp http://www.coretechnologies.com/products/AlwaysUp/ This great piece of software though not free allows you to run any program as a service, They do have a 30 day trial if you want to try it. I don't believe you would have the same trouble installing Plex on the NAS from the package center as I have to believe that is designed to run as a service.

Edited by itGEEKS

I tried to edit my post above but I could not. I would also purchase the NAS unit with the least amount of ram offered to save you money then purchase the ram online from your favorite source like Amazon, This will save you money, I would also max out the ram in the unit because ram is cheap enough so y not. Later on you may want to add some VM's and more applications so the more ram the better. Maybe pcdoc can post a link to the ram he purchased for his QNAP.

I have not listened in a while - great topic and show.  

I am wondering if we could get a rundown of QNAP VS Synology, i.e. is there a clear winner?  Does it move at different price points?  What are the deciding factors between the two brands?  I am planning on moving away from my WHS2011 this fall and wonder if there is a consensus.  I suspect we will be seeing new models soon ... CES?

Cheers,

Tom

I recently (as in roughly 6 months ago) moved away from WHS 2011 and to Synology.  I had been contemplating this move for a while, but a lightning strike that killed my N40L was the catalyst that forced my hand. :)  Anyway, it's been a good move for me and other than the lack of bare-metal backups it's been an improvement in every possible way.   For me, the absolute killer feature on Synology is Photo Station.  Managing family photos is MUCH easier now as compared to what we were doing before.  (trying to both update a common iPhoto library)

Does QNAP offer anything similar to Photo Station?  QNAP looks similar to Synology in most every other aspect, but I don't recall seeing if they have a story around photo management.  

Edited by eagle63

reliable solution. 

This does not sound like a plex issue but rather something in your plex server or network.  I have had my plex server on for nearly 2+ years and other than when I shut it down to move or apply patches it has been rock solid.  You should try and run some tests on the connectivity and see what is dropping out.  I am betting this is a server/NIC/Network issue and plex may be more susceptible to it where as you would not notice it otherwise.

I recently (as in roughly 6 months ago) moved away from WHS 2011 and to Synology.  I had been contemplating this move for a while, but a lightning strike that killed my N40L was the catalyst that forced my hand. :)  Anyway, it's been a good move for me and other than the lack of bare-metal backups it's been an improvement in every possible way.   For me, the absolute killer feature on Synology is Photo Station.  Managing family photos is MUCH easier now as compared to what we were doing before.  (trying to both update a common iPhoto library)

Does QNAP offer anything similar to Photo Station?  QNAP looks similar to Synology in most every other aspect, but I don't recall seeing if they have a story around photo management.  

QNAP does indeed offer the Photo library which is very similar to the one on the Synology but in my opinion is a bit better.  The newest version now in beta is very slick looking.  The mobile app also works extremely well.  If you like the Synology, you will definitely like the QNAP.  

I also made the move from WHS 2011 to WSE2012 and now to Synology and like you the only thing I was missing was the lack of bare-metal backups but not anymore, Welcome to "Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE" http://www.veeam.com/endpoint-backup-free.html

As the title says its completely free and I quote Veeam on this "It will remain free for life" I been using this for several month's now and its been rock solid, I tested a few restores and it went perfect each time, The testing was done on both UEFI  and none UEFI bios computers. You can use your NAS as the target for the backups, Its a perfect partnership.

Edited by itGEEKS

QNAP does indeed offer the Photo library which is very similar to the one on the Synology but in my opinion is a bit better.  The newest version now in beta is very slick looking.  The mobile app also works extremely well.  If you like the Synology, you will definitely like the QNAP.  

Thanks for this - I will have to check out the feature set.  Does it offer tagging and things like that?  I wonder if people use a front end like lightroom and then use the NAS for storage?

Is the beta version the QT version or can you get the apps beta individually.  I am hearing some good things about he next version of QT.