• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• itGeeks

• awraynor

• pcdoc

• yodafett

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am loving my 2 QNAP though I am seeing the benefit of potentially having NAS with the data and using a vm to run the plex instead of straight though the nas.   My initial purpose of the QNAP was a i

great podcast -  thanks  -  the only thing missing was  John Zadler !! -  but it was good to hear from Mike Faucher again     along the lines of the followup question that Tony Raynor posed    Th

I really enjoyed this podcast. many aspects were covered in the discussions. The questions about blown mobo or a disaster situation were especially good for the discussion. Likewise, the aspect of not

It was good having the gang back together last night. Missing Johnny Z, we need hin

back too.

At the meetup it would be nice to further define benefits of QNAP vs. Synology in

user cases. I'm very interested in switching to a NAS myself.

I am loving my 2 QNAP though I am seeing the benefit of potentially having NAS with the data and using a vm to run the plex instead of straight though the nas.   My initial purpose of the QNAP was a iSCSI target for my ESXi host. ideally I could run 2 NUCs  and a 100 QNAP and virtualize the entire home with clustering for HA.

• Like 1
Al_Borges

great podcast -  thanks  -  the only thing missing was  John Zadler !! -  but it was good to hear from Mike Faucher again

along the lines of the followup question that Tony Raynor posed 

The system objectives he was after could also have been met with a windows 8/windows 10 platform

What tradeoffs/ constraints would he recommend considering in choosing between a proprietary platform vs a vs  Windows ?

• Like 1

I am loving my 2 QNAP though I am seeing the benefit of potentially having NAS with the data and using a vm to run the plex instead of straight though the nas.   My initial purpose of the QNAP was a iSCSI target for my ESXi host. ideally I could run 2 NUCs  and a 100 QNAP and virtualize the entire home with clustering for HA.

Yeah, it is not for everyone.  I did that way because I wanted the extra CPU power to transcode BD to mobile since I was already running the VM for somthing else it was the path of least resistance.  If I did not already have the VM running for other media needs I would have used the QNAP.

great podcast -  thanks  -  the only thing missing was  John Zadler !! -  but it was good to hear from Mike Faucher again

along the lines of the followup question that Tony Raynor posed 

The system objectives he was after could also have been met with a windows 8/windows 10 platform

What tradeoffs/ constraints would he recommend considering in choosing between a proprietary platform vs a vs  Windows ?

There are always trade offs and each use case will be different.  I would say it would be based on the apps/services you need.  Going Windows is always a safe bet and will work in most cases however when you tighter user access and controls, and something with a lower heat footprint, going with a proprietary solution like QNAP/Synology offers a bit more than a windows 10 system.  Basic file storage can be met with most solutions.  There are many other reasons but you need to start with a list of your key requirements as may point you in a particular direction.  I think many might be surprised at power of a good NAS.  It is not joke in terms of performance anymore.

I really enjoyed this podcast. many aspects were covered in the discussions. The questions about blown mobo or a disaster situation were especially good for the discussion. Likewise, the aspect of not having MSDN definitely changes the equation.

In my view, there is more of a spectrum between nas and server. after all, both are just computers with memory and software. If you have a so-called nas that allows you to hook up a hdmi monitor and keyboard/mouse, the distinction seems to blur.

To me, my gen7 microservers are somewhere in between - low power, small footprint, hot-swap disk trays, and useful software, but more responsibility on my part to manage that software mix. If for some reason I lost them I would definitely recalculate how I might replace the lost functionality.

Bottom line, as one's needs change, sometimes different solutions would suffice. On the other hand, we don't always have money to trash our existing gear and buy some expensive nas.

thanks for the great 'cast!

• Like 1

Yeah, it is not for everyone.  I did that way because I wanted the extra CPU power to transcode BD to mobile since I was already running the VM for somthing else it was the path of least resistance.  If I did not already have the VM running for other media needs I would have used the QNAP.

pcdoc, It was really great seeing you on the podcast. Question did you test Plex trans-coding on QNAP? and if yes how did it run?? I am thinking of getting a TS-453 for testing, I really like the VM support that QNAP has. I am running two Synology DS1815+ in a cluster at home but these QNAP boxes have my interest. I also share your pain with more failed restores then good ones using WSE2012. Off topic, What ever happen to your podcast the BYOB and the other Mike M? If you prefer you can PM me, I really miss your Podcast. 

Edited by itGEEKS
  • Like 1

Was there a particular reason(s) that you went with QNAP over Synology?

Price/Value for a given CPU but most of all the User Interface.  They are similar but I find the QNAP layout just plain better and the hardware was better positioned.

• Like 1