RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Dave

HP Stream Mini Desktop $149.99

Dave

I'm thinking of wiping mine as well.  I'm still in the middle of updates to see what that adds to the system.  First boot had 19.2Gb out of 22.6Gb free.  Yikes!

schoondoggy

Get your license key before you wipe it or be sure to get a OEM ISO to load it.

jsox

I verified via "C:\slmgr /xpr" that the Stream has been permanently activated. So with a downloaded W10 install I won't need a key.

Al_Borges

I just upgraded a Dell Venu 8 pro to windows 10 today

The Windows.old directory took up 15 gigs - !!

went ahead and removed it  -  the base foot print of windows 10 is smaller than windows 8.1  , at least for my tablet. 

before I did the in place upgrade,  I had "reset" the dell venue 8 completely  so this is  apples to apples comparison  

the bare "reset" window 8.1 install  took up a shade under 18 gigs - 17.5  Gigs 

the bare  "inplace" upgrade of windows 10 is  14.2 gigs ( after deleting the windows.old and other upgrade files )

pretty free of junk -   aside from  some dell apps , it looks like a clean install - similar to what I found with a windows.iso install.

So far, I have switched 1 desktop , 1 laptop and now my tablet.    All in place upgrades went very smoothly   I don't think I will reinstall again from images  -  don't see a need to at this point. 

jsox

Continuing the rebuild of my Stream Mini...

Install 2G 1600 MHz DDR3 memory previously removed from QNAP TS-453, now boots to 4G
Reboot / Esc to enter setup

• Try Recovery option > blue screen for a while, then it shut itself down
  • Looked through all the BIOS settings, reset to Factory, then Disable network boot and Enable virtualization
  • HP System Diagnostics; Quick Test (~20 minutes), all results = PASSED

Messed around with Dropbox, trying to uninstall it to get the HP “free 25G” offer to work. It kept saying that Dropbox was already installed no matter what I removed. Finally edited the registry but got nervous about that and did a clean-wipe-Reset of the device

• Endless boot cycle with the error INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE, harrumph
  • Power down, power up: no change
  • Restart / Esc: BIOS still shows SSD; DPS Self-test:PASSED

Clean install of Windows 10

• Windows media creator (on different PC) to create Windows 10 Home x64 USB
  • Restart / Esc > boot EFI [uSB stick]
  • Skip product key
  • Clean install
  • Delete all existing partitions, Next
  • Stuff, reboots
  • Enter product key later, Express settings
  • 3 Device Manager issues (right-click [+])… after several minutes (in which I did nothing) it reduced to 2 issues
  • After several minutes more (in which I did nothing) it reduced to 0 issues, Restart
  • C:\slmgr /xpr > confirm Windows 10 “permanently activated”
  • Install HP Support Assistant (sp71727)
  • Run HP SA
    • Wireless, Bluetooth, Intel Rapid Storage, Realtek card reader drivers to be updated…
    • Apply, Restart
    • HP SA: no upgrades available

C:\DISKPART shows

• Recovery 450 MB
  • System 100 MB
  • Reserved 16 MB
  • Primary 29 GB (17.4 of 29.2 GB free)(after the original upgrade to W10 it was only 4G, so this is quite an improvement)

jsox

Bought one of these on Amazon to attach a pulled m.2 SATA SSD to another machine (e.g. to image it).

ZTC Thunder Board M.2 (NGFF) SSD to SATA III Board Adapter. Multi Size Fit with High Speed 6.0GB/s. Model ZTC-AD001

Tested it with an m.2 SSD pull from a Venue 11. Worked perfectly.

itGeeks

There should be a Windows.old folder you can delete.

Agreed but he needs to delete it threw the disk cleanup tool. Also he can disable hibernation will give him more space also. I had the same problem on an HP Stream laptop and after cleaning everything up I was able to have around 9GB free space and that's with Microsoft Office 2013 installed.

Dewain27

Just wanted to give an update on my Stream Mini.  I have now got the specs up on this box pretty high, but found an interesting limit or limits of the unit.

Current Specs on the unit:

Upgraded to 6 GB of RAM

Upgraded to 128 GB SSD in place of the 32 GB

Added 1 TB SSD via Ribbon Cable from Meet Up

New limitations found:

1. Sound will not come through the DisplayPort it appears that only HDMI and the Audio output allow for this
  2. Maximum Display resolution is 2440 x 1440.  This means it won't push a 21:9 monitor

I know that many of you would look at this and go "Why?" and the answer is "Because I wanted to put it on my Dell 34" widescreen.  I was planning on putting all my movies on the unit directly and I had a 1 TB SSD available from my old media center PC.  Not to mention... I needed to find the upper limits on this thing.