RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Dave

HP Stream Mini Desktop $149.99

Dave

You heard this podcast right? I thought it was one of the years best.  We chat about the HP Stream Mini Desktop plus a whole lot more.  Now, it's $149.99 on woot.com.  It's a refurb but a nice price!

http://homeservershow.com/plex-in-an-rv-via-synology-and-the-hp-stream-mini-desktop.html

HP Stream Mini 200-010 Desktop, Intel 2957U Dual Core, 2GB DDR3, 32GB Solid State Drive, 802.11n, Bluetooth, Win8.1 $149.99

Get it here:  http://computers.woot.com/offers/hp-stream-mini-intel-dual-core-desktop-1?ref=cnt_wp_5_1

Specifications: Processor: Intel Celeron 2957U 1.4GHz

2MB Cache Processor Core: Dual-Core Memory: 2GB Memory Slots: 2, supports up to 16GB unbuffered with 8GB DIMMs Graphics: Intel HD Graphics

(Up to 983MB Total Available Graphics Memory as allocated by Windows 8) Video Ports: DisplayPort, HDMI Hard Drive: 32GB Solid State Drive Optical Drive: No Card Reader: 3-in-1 SD Card Reader (side) Sound: Integrated Network: 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet Wireless: 802.11b/g/n (1x1) Bluetooth: Yes, 4.0

Front I/O Ports: (2) USB 3.0 Rear I/O Ports: (1) DisplayPort

(1) HDMI

(2) USB 3.0

(1) RJ-45 LAN

(1) Headphone/Microphone Operating System: Genuine Windows 8.1 (64-bit) Power Supply: External 45W Power Supply Dimensions: 5.71" x 5.71" x 2.13"

In the box:

• HP Stream Mini 200-010 Desktop, Intel 2957U Dual Core, 2GB DDR3, 32GB Solid State Drive, 802.11n, Bluetooth, Win8.1
  • Power Adapter
  • USB Mouse & Keyboard

Dave

Ok, you guys know I always put "my money where my mouth is."  In for one!

I hope this Celeron processor can keep up with my Media Center needs.  Windows 7 will be going on it as soon as it arrives.

jsox

in for one

• Like 1

jsox

sold out, but not before I got one

• Like 1

jmwills

I've kind of gotten away form the HTPC concept.  I used a ChromeCast adapter and a tablet that  RDP'd into my main desktop that can access any file needed.

jsox

Just finished upgrading to Windows 10 on mine. Wow. 32G SSD is really really small.  Only 4G available after the upgrade to W10. Seems to have a fair amount of crapware on it...

jmwills

Just finished upgrading to Windows 10 on mine. Wow. 32G SSD is really really small.  Only 4G available after the upgrade to W10. Seems to have a fair amount of crapware on it...

There should be a Windows.old folder you can delete.

awraynor

Is a new install that much smaller than the upgrade install and is there a real advantage by doing it other

than not having the crapware?

jsox

Settings > System > Storage > This PC > Temporary Files > yes I want to delete my previous version of windows ... Restart and I have added 4.8G of usable space.

I don't know yet about the upgrade install vs. a Reset install vs. a clean install; still testing to do and I won't have time for several days.

From work on a Dell Venue 11 the result I expect is:

Upgrade and Reset use the same disk space, that is Reset does not change the existing partition structure.

Clean install when you wipe the drive as part of the install will have an EFI partition (100MB in the one test I did), one Recovery partition of 450MB, and a Primary partition of everything else. Clearly the "recovery" partition of 450MB cannot contain an entire Windows image so it must be only key drivers and everything else comes from the web?

The original Stream drive had (as shipped, prior to W10 upgrade):

1 System 360 MB

2 Reserved 128 MB

3 Primary 22 GB

4 Recovery 6874 MB

Following the W10 upgrade install I see:

1 System 360 MB

2 Reserved 128 MB

3 Primary 22 GB

4 Recovery 450 MB

5 Recovery 6874 MB

I'm assuming that the 6.8 G "recovery" partition is for Windows 8.1 as shipped, which means wasted space for me now as I have zero intent of going back to Win 8.

Looks to me like a totally clean install onto a wiped drive could get me another 6.8G of usable space. On a 32G drive that is not insignificant.