RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Worth upgrading to 16GB RAM for 2 VMs?

lionelhutz

I have a Gen8 Microserver with a G1610T and 10GB of RAM (the stock 2GB module + an 8GB module). 

I'm running Windows Server 2012 R2 with two Hyper-V virtual machines - one Debian and one Windows 8.1 - running Plex and a few other media apps. The VMs use between 1 and 2GB memory each. They seem to run okay, perhaps a little slow when I connect through the Hyper-V console, but no problems with media streaming. I'm not planning any additional VMs, it seems like two is plenty.

Memory use seems to generally be about 80% give or take.

I am wondering whether I will get much benefit from upgrading to 16GB? Will the VMs benefit from the extra RAM? Or is the G1610T the bottleneck?

I forgot about the pagefile. I guess it is on C at the moment, which is my OS drive, a 120GB SSD that's more than half empty. Seems like the best place for it. There's nowhere obvious to move it to - I've got four storage HDDs pooled with Drivepool, I assume the pagefile shouldn't live there. A USB drive for server backup and that's it. Adding another stick of RAM would be easier than adding any more drives.

Until recently I had both VMs on C drive as well, until I started getting low disk space warnings on C and so I moved them to the storage pool. They are a little slower now running off the storage pool than the SSD, so another way to speed them up would be to move one or both back to C. Is there any particular reason not to run VMs from your OS drive? 

As a follow up, I bit the bullet and bought some more memory after one of my VMs refused to start due to a lack of RAM! Now I have 16GB which means the VMs have 4GB each and there is still 2-3GB free. Funnily enough the dynamic RAM allocation for the Windows VM doesn't want 4GB, after startup it steps down to 2GB and stays there.