RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

CPU question

dikkiedirk

Is the v2 version of the e3-12xx (ivy bridge) the only good working e3 cpu in the Gen 8? Or can I also use a Sandybridge version? What are the drawbacks of using a Sandybridge CPU? Just a little higher TDP?

You can use Sandy Bridge or v2 = Ivy Bridge. v3 is Haswell which isn't compatible.

Read post page of the processor thread for the main differences. The integrated GPU and QuickSync don't work so ignore that as a factor in your decision. There isn't really a huge difference between the two. PCIe 3.0, DDR3L and a slightly lower TDP are pretty much it for differenec that affect the Microserver Gen8.

I know a few people who use the E3-1260L (V1) proc in the gen8 if  you can find it at a steal it is worth it though right now the E3-1265L v2 seems to be running between 150 and 200 on ebay

You will get around 30% less performance per watt with a sandy bridge

if you dont care about power use get a 32nm part

Edited by Shonk

Availability of 1260L and 1265L is rather low here in Europe. Will have to buy from a seller in USA, which adds additional costs like shipping and customs. Price will be 250+ Euros.

And some sellers have it listed but don't ship to Netherlands.

Hello

.. before to buy, i just want know if the Xeon E3-1280V2 work on this HP microserver Gen8? I don't found answer on this question

(if I buy this processor I will use zalman cnps2x )

Thanks

Edited by Rmi26