RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Quick way to move from AHCI mode to RAID mode

uhoffmann

Hi guys,

I have played with my Gen8 the past few days and am operating in AHCI mode, using an SD card to boot from SSD in port 5. Installed MS Server 2012 R2 Essentials with all the updates, upgraded the firmware of the machine etc. etc. 

Now, I was wondering whether using the RAID mode would be an option, but I am not sure whether there is an easy way of doing a backup of the system right now that I can play back to the system when in RAID mode. I want to avoid installing the OS with all the updates again.

Any suggestion is appreciated,

Uli 

Right now, two drives in AHCI mode, running Drivepool. But the data on these drives is not (that) critical. I am more keen on preserving / moving / saving the OS installation on the SSD.

Uli 

If you have a sold backup of that data, blow away the drive pool and create a RAID 1 array.  Three drives and RAID 5 would be better but you need a plan for backups.  Neither DrivePool or RAID addresses this issue.

Right now, two drives in AHCI mode, running Drivepool. But the data on these drives is not (that) critical. I am more keen on preserving / moving / saving the OS installation on the SSD.

Uli 

So, two drives and a SSD?

Generally, I have had good luck moving drives from AHCI to the B120i. Just go into the B120i and set them each to a single drive RAID0. I don't see an issue with your boot drive, but I am not sure if DrivePool will like the changes.