RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

HSS 287

itGeeks

Hi Dave,

Great show this week. I did not know where to post this so I posted it here. I have fully shutdown my Microsoft servers in favor of using Synology NAS, I have never felt more in control of my data as I do now and I am really enjoying the trouble free technology unlike the Microsoft servers that would crash every time I turned around because of bad patches and whatever else. I should of done this a longtime ago. O and did I tell you that my client restores really work on unlike WSE2012 restores? I use Veeam Endpoint backup free for all my client backups now and its been rock solid and yes it does bare-metal, I even have some family members that backup to me at night and that's been rock solid. And did I say Veeam Endpoint Backup is 100% FREE

https://www.veeam.com/endpoint-backup-free.html

Like you Dave I have been running a Microsoft server in my house for many years and I had trouble letting go but after you do it I promise you will feel grate about it :D

I run two DS1815+ in a cluster here at my house then I have a DS414 at my father in-laws that hosts his files local to him and my DS1815+ backs up to him every night & his DS414 backs up his files to me every night, Then I have a DS213 at my daughters house that hosts her files and backs up to me every night. So as you can see we are all well protected with backups, Kind of like a round robin affect. I also installed the DNS server package on everyone's Synology boxes so they have DNS Caching, That made a noticeable different browsing the internet. We also use cloud-station for syncing files up. And there is more but I will end it here. I just want to say these boxes are amazing, It does not seem like there is anything you cant do with them and they are rock solid.

• Like 1

cool. my two home servers have been rock solid and serve me well so a case of ymmv :)

I don't have the deep pockets to replace anyway so fortunately they are not aggrevating anyone.

Those are some serious Synology boxes you have. I'm also thinking of doing something like that for power savings. The current "home server" packages are probably more

than I needed and with bare metal backup, a QNAP or Synology box is likely fine for me. I can do my movie management with MyMovies from the desktop and store

the files on the NAS. Otherwise a pedestrian NAS is probably enough.

Had to laugh at the NewEgg discounts for your box. A whopping $4 on a near $1000 NAS if you buy in bulk. 

cool. my two home servers have been rock solid and serve me well so a case of ymmv :)

I don't have the deep pockets to replace anyway so fortunately they are not aggrevating anyone.

Well you are one of the lucky ones :) I myself and many others have not had the great luck you are having so henc is one reason for the change. I myself still like to tinker with this stuff but I don't need another full-time job & I got tired of the footsteps coming down the hall at 11:00 at night to say I cant get to my files or I can do this or that. So now with my new setup my floor and I will survive because no moor heavy footsteps. 

Life is good again.... Just wondering when was the last time you tried to do a full bear-metal restore from one of the WSE2012 backups? 80 percent of the time mine would fail for one reason or another so I said whats the point of using WSE2012 for client backups if I have to hold by breath and pray that I can restore a client computer. Just saying.

Those are some serious Synology boxes you have. I'm also thinking of doing something like that for power savings. The current "home server" packages are probably more

than I needed and with bare metal backup, a QNAP or Synology box is likely fine for me. I can do my movie management with MyMovies from the desktop and store

the files on the NAS. Otherwise a pedestrian NAS is probably enough.

Had to laugh at the NewEgg discounts for your box. A whopping $4 on a near $1000 NAS if you buy in bulk. 

Thanks awraynor, Yes they are but I felt I needed this becous I run some resource intensive packages on these boxes and I needed the high up-time because we need to access files from our thin client computers when we are out in the field with our day business and the fact that I am home base for all the backups I wanted to make sure we are online 99% of the time. I also run the Surveillance Station package with 10 cameras recording 24 hours a day, The cameras are 3MP each and that takes some grunt to keep the video feed smooth. Its to bad you did not see my add in the buy & sell section because not long ago I sold my 1812+ on there to a forum member, That was a great box but it only had two NICs and I wanted to do link aggregation and the cluster so if I decided to keep the 1812+ and just purchase another one providing I could find it I would of had to give up Link Aggregation. Another thing I gained was more ram and quad core cpu so at the end of the day this was a worth wild upgrade.

Edited by itGEEKS

My needs will be much simpler than yours. Bare metal backup (thanks to you recommending VEEAM), PLEX is a must and remote access would be nice.

I'm unsure about Synology vs. QNAP at this point. Was looking at the TS451 or Synology 415 Play, 415+ or 414. 

My needs will be much simpler than yours. Bare metal backup (thanks to you recommending VEEAM), PLEX is a must and remote access would be nice.

I'm unsure about Synology vs. QNAP at this point. Was looking at the TS451 or Synology 415 Play, 415+ or 414. 

The QNAP vs Synology is a tough choice indeed. I do have some YouTube videos of both compairing them I will see if I can dig them up and post them for you. One thing the QNAP has over Synology is Virtualization so if that's something you need or want to do then take a hard look at QNAP, I prefer Synology for the nice clean interface and the constant DSM updates. QNAP from what I here does not update as much as Synology. Another thing to consider, You say Plex is a must. Plex does not do well with any of these boxes if you need it to do on-the-fly trans-coding, The box will choke. The best way to setup Plex on a sep box like an HP Stream mini and put your music & movies on the NAS. Dave had a show on this kind of setup and according to Dwain it works great, I purchased two of these HP's right after the show but have not tested it myself. I run my Plex server on a core i5 with no trouble at all trans-coding to multiple clients. Here is the show link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_hsubVzeF8

• Like 1

Given you are a lot smarter about this than me, comment on this scenario. I rip all of my DVD's to folder format at the moment, but MyMovies also creates a HiProfile MP4

copy. I use this smaller size copy to stream at home and remotely. The quality is good enough for me. 

Given it is in mp4 does it have to be transcoded? I was worried a traditional NAS wasn't up to transcoding, so in my situation, is it an issue?

If so for now I can just keep my 2011 box running. 

Relative to most here, I am quite a novice.  However, I'm facing the same decision of how I will eventually get rid of the server and go to the NAS 100%.

Here is my situation:

I have 6 dedicated HTPCs all running Win 7 Pro or higher with Windows Media Center as the interface.  Also, I have 5 other PCs on the network (3 of them run Media Center but aren't 'dedicated' HTPCs---but are used to consume/record media at times).  I'm still running WHS v1 which backs up 9 of the 11 boxes that run Win 7.  The other 2 are on 8.1 and store all data to the server, NAS, and/or OneDrive. 

I have a Synology 1512+ (5x 3TB) & a 1513 (5x4TB) expansion unit in addition to the WHS v1 and an old ReadyNAS (don't ask).

Here's my current plan until I figure out a Media Center replacement that has the same 1-stop shopping in one application (live/recorded tv, whole house dvr, dvd library, music library, family photos and videos, all via remote control):  Keep the WHS v1 to image backup my Win 7 machines and to be the central storage for recorded TV.  All other data, I will move to my Synology.  

The bare metal restore of WHS for my HTPCs is important since they are a PITA to configure from scratch to work exactly the way I want them to. I thought about moving to a later WHS version a few years ago but, as I recall, there was some size limitation that wouldn't allow me to use my drive pool in the same way as i do on v1 and I was too lazy to figure out how to break up my data (DVD backups were the primary constraint at the time).

I'm really happy with the Synology and also use it for surveillance for 12 cameras.  It's been 2-3 years and it hasn't caused me any problems yet.

If anyone has suggestions on a better way to skin this cat, I'm all ears and would appreciate the insight.