RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Enterprise HDD's with SAS Controller

GTiRolla

Hi All,

Hopefully this is the right area to post this...

So I have a Gen8 Microserver and through where I work I have access to some 2.5"/3.5" SAS/NLSAS Drives that have come from decommissioned enterprise Kit (EMC/Netapp).

For lab testing purposes & before I splurged $500 on a P222/512 FBWC SAS Card  - Does anyone know 1st hand whether these drives would actually be usable?

Cheers :)

This really depends on the drives in question, I'd guess.

Do you mean in the hard drive bays, or in general?

In general. I should be able to transplant them with any luck. Its more wether there is going to be specific firmware on the drives that will make them unusable...

So I have a Gen8 Microserver and through where I work I have access to some 2.5"/3.5" SAS/NLSAS Drives that have come from decommissioned enterprise Kit (EMC/Netapp).

For lab testing purposes & before I splurged $500 on a P222/512 FBWC SAS Card  - Does anyone know 1st hand whether these drives would actually be usable?

They should work fine on just a plain (and cheaper) SAS HBA such as a LSI 9211-8i or the HP SA P222. The P222 is only necessary if you want RAID though.

I'm not sure I'd want to use old enterprise HDs though. They'll have had a large number of hours powered up and spinning so you'll be quite far along the bathtub failure curve.

For lab purposes, you're fine with cheaper regular SATA drives as SAS doesn't give you anything useful for a regular lab. SAS starts to matter if you're working with high end enterprise equipment with dual SAS ports on the HDs but that isn't that case for the Microserver.

I'm using a HP P222 card with 4x WD Red drives in RAID5 and performance is very good despite the WD Red drives being slightly better rated versions of the WD Green low power drives.

Cheers, most of these drives arent that old. And spares aren't an issue :)

It'll more than likely be running RAID 10 as I have a dedicated NAS for file storage. Although I'm hoping to get some unified gear to run block as well :)

I am running SAS drives on a P222 in my Gen8, they work fine.

Where did the drives come from - Servers or SAN Arrays? In my case they will be coming from Arrays.

Where did the drives come from - Servers or SAN Arrays? In my case they will be coming from Arrays.

Good point, these were white box server drives, so no custom firmware. You may have issues with the EMC drives, as they tend to run different sector sizes. I cant remember if NetApp changes the sectors. If you dig around you may be able to find generic firmware for them. 

You may have issues with the EMC drives, as they tend to run different sector sizes. I cant remember if NetApp changes the sectors.

NetApp filers do use 520 byte sectors.

You can send a SCSI command to change to 512 byte sectors though. The drive will format itself once you do this so you'll lose everything on there. You shouldn't need to reflash the drive firmware.

I've only ever done it using Linux so YMMV if you need to do this on any other OS. Install sg3_utils and run sg_format --format --size=512 /dev/sg<number of your new drive>

Edited by GotNoTime
  • Like 1