Don W

Does anyone use XPenology?

9 posts in this topic

I have a question about the legality of using XPenology. I am really intrigued about XPE, I have run most other free versions of Linux based NAS software, of which so far my favorite is OpenMediaVault by far, but I have tried FreeNAS, OpenNAS, Amahi and others I cannot remember, but then I read about XPEnolgy on here and gave it a shot and really thought is was by far the best Linux based NAS software. I went to Google and tried searching for it and was eventually able to find a place to download both files needed but also found alot of dead links and some warnings about Synology giving cease and desist letters which threw up a big warning flag in my head about whether some one cracked Synologies code and posting it, because if Synology agreed with everyone using their software, why the cease and desist letters. I would really hate to use the software and then all my files to be wiped out by Synology when they get pissed off and find a way to release a version that deletes uncertified versions of their software.

Yes. XPenology is a modded version of the Synology DiskStation firmware + loader made to run on other hardware by third parties. Some parts of it are open source since Synology used GPL licensed projects but pretty much all of the UI and anything written by Synology from scratch are closed source so subject to their own license. It is the major feature for Synology NAS units which is why they're understandably annoyed with people doing this.

Edited by GotNoTime
1 person likes this

I have 2 test setups one running as a VM on ESXi and a second on a d525 atom. Both are for learning the differences between dsm from synology and qnaps software. It is not supported and I would not run it in a production enviornment. I see it similar to people like me running a hackintosh. Your running the actual software that you might have purchased and it runs fine but it against the EULA. Similar to ripping DVDs via anydvd. A lot do it and if for your personal collection and not for redistribution I see it as ok but it is against the DMCA

I have my N54L with xpenology installed (Native). Visit Xpenlogy.me  and  Xpenology.com for more info.

I've tried freenas... (it has a hard-working configuration) ... finally I have installed Xpenology and It's really easy to configure and use.

In this page you can find all you need to make the installation, files, tutorials, flash the Network card MAC address.. 

I follow this page to make it Work.  http://xpenology.me/downloads/ 

Did anybody successfully run XPE in KVM or bhyve?

I am still undecided between OMV +ZFS KVM , or plain FreeBsd + bhyve. Issues with compiling the zfs on OMV 3.0 are struggling me in going down that route.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

I got this running in HyperV.  I see why people love it.

That said... go for the 5.6 version (eg, pre-6.0). 

Yes. XPenology is a modded version of the Synology DiskStation firmware + loader made to run on other hardware by third parties. Some parts of it are open source since Synology used GPL licensed projects but pretty much all of the UI and anything written by Synology from scratch are closed source so subject to their own license. It is the major feature for Synology NAS units which is why they're understandably annoyed with people doing this.

Yup, but it's a legal grey area, because from what I understand, it's not modifying the OS/code base, but just getting the loader to work. 

So while they're not happy, there isn't a lot they can do, legally.

I made a video install video for ESXI

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

1 person likes this

Ive been using xpenology for a year and I can say it works great, tried iscsi and regular shares. My only complaint is that as this is a hacked opensource loader you get close to no support and new versions take a long time to be considered "stable".

With this said what I hate about syno is their pricing structure, you pay around 1k for a mere atom processor or i3 or low xeon.  

as a home lab I am running rockstor, which is a centos based distribution with btrfs on top, so far for testing on "stable" raid levels 10 and 1 it runs like a champ.

If I had to choose I would go for synology because of the ease of use but rockstor for the flexibility (centos)

My 2 cents

1 person likes this