RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

PerfectDisk

whsvet

This is a shoutout to PerfectDisk. I have had 2 homebuilds dating back to early 2008, and I used the same hard drives in both builds. I just did the migration and server reinstall when migrating to the second (current) machine. I was uncomfortable using defragmenters based on Microsoft's comments on the subject, but after reading posts on this and other websites, I decided to give PerfectDisk a try (the discount in honor of Episode 100 was the clincher!).

Once installed, the analysers indicated severe fragmentation, as would be expected after 2 1/2 years of use. After performing the first defrag, my system performed dramatically better. The speed at which the console now loads is dramatically faster, and it responds much more quickly to tab changes and link clicks. My client computer backups run noticealby faster. And the time to backup my backups and shares is reduced as well. I have no documentation to support these claims, but the improvement is obvious! Thank you, Raxco, for the PerfectDisk product. It has definitely improved my system's performance.

I used PerfectDisk a while ago and the problem I had with it is that it seemed to spend forever defraging one drive.

It would go through the smaller drives but would spend more than a day working on a 750gb drive every time.... seemed to live there

Thanks for the feedback on PerfectDisk. I also bought it with the episode 100 discount. I need to set it up on the server. I hope to see performance improvements as you have.

Did you pretty much use the system defaults or did you change PerfeckDisk’s settings? I have installed it, but only briefly looked at the configuration settings. I have not had time to look into it.

Thanks for the feedback on PerfectDisk. I also bought it with the episode 100 discount. I need to set it up on the server. I hope to see performance improvements as you have.

Did you pretty much use the system defaults or did you change PerfeckDisk’s settings? I have installed it, but only briefly looked at the configuration settings. I have not had time to look into it.

I used the system defaults.

Should work like "it says on the tin:)"

I used it as it came setup "out of the box" initially. I'm trying to learn as I explore its options and components.

britishbob: that sounds like an excessive amount of time on the one drive. Was this the "first pass" or does it take this long every time? Maybe that drive is a becoming flakey?