RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Needing some advice

firehawk_77

How much storage is she using on iCloud? I am not a Apple guy, but I tend to recommend OneDrive as it supports all mobile devices. If you use Office365 you have 1TB free on OneDrive. You could pull her OneDrive info onto your server.

She's gone over 1 TB on iCloud... pictures mostly (mostly of our son from an infant up to present)

I want to get it out of paying them for this and put it to the server and have dedicated backups, but I haven't seen something quick and easy that she'll be able to do or have done for her.

One Drive is an option but I don't have Office365, and again it's somewhere I don't want it, not on my server.

Sorry for not helping on #2 but I wanted to answer your question. I had a breakdown of my Client Laptop and at that time I was doing a test withthree backups. Windows, Acronis and Veeam. Unfortunately the test wasn't finished so I had to try a lot and created some new bad words at that time but Veeam backup was the only backup which was restored without any issues. And as Murphy already knew it was my last backup type I tried. Windows and Acronis had both issues and the Laptop were not running.

That i sthe reason why I suggested it.

Thanks I'll give it a look! Acronis seems more business oriented than home user... from what I've looked at the site, haven't used it so I guess I shouldn't make judgement until I do.

hmmm, source of confusion: there are actually TWO free products:

veeam backup free and

veeam endpoint backup free.

lots of functionality for free!

Initial reaction to veeam endpoint backup Free:

plus - includes drivers on recovery media, lets you backup 'legacy' clients on 2012R2 via just a share and do bmr without having to hack the 2012r2 recovery drive to support booting with cpus that don't have NX/DEP (so I can do both legacy and modern client backups on the same server), I can backup one server to another

minus - no de-dup, no netboot bmr

at this point the scales seem to tip toward veeam, while I play I will be keeping an eye out for how it goes for anyone here.

thanks for the lead!

Edited by nrf

For your iCloud issue. I played a short time with Xpenology. It is a clone of Synology NAS OS just for use on a Homeserver.

I saw there an app for iTunes and iPhone. Maybe it could give you what you are looking for. I do not know your setup but maybe you can run one Xpenology Server in a VM just for this task?

Maybe another way would be to install iCloude for Windows and do a regulally move of older files from the Cloude to a normal Server directory. I guess it would be a easy solution to keep used iCloud storage low but your wife would miss pictures on here iPhone.

If something what i suggested will not fly please be kind I have never used apple or an iPhone.

• Like 1

The easiest way to back up an iPhone/iPad without using iCloud is to backup via ITunes.  I can't remember if it is can be wireless, but should back up every time you sync with the computer using a cable. When hooked up to the ITunes the option is on the summary page for the phone.  You can select iCloud or This Computer.

The easiest way to back up an iPhone/iPad without using iCloud is to backup via ITunes.  I can't remember if it is can be wireless, but should back up every time you sync with the computer using a cable. When hooked up to the ITunes the option is on the summary page for the phone.  You can select iCloud or This Computer.

While that's an option, it's not one I can do regularly. The server won't be convenient for her to access or to plug into. If it can be done wirelessly I haven't seen an option for that but it would be a preference.

For your iCloud issue. I played a short time with Xpenology. It is a clone of Synology NAS OS just for use on a Homeserver.

I saw there an app for iTunes and iPhone. Maybe it could give you what you are looking for. I do not know your setup but maybe you can run one Xpenology Server in a VM just for this task?

Maybe another way would be to install iCloude for Windows and do a regulally move of older files from the Cloude to a normal Server directory. I guess it would be a easy solution to keep used iCloud storage low but your wife would miss pictures on here iPhone.

If something what i suggested will not fly please be kind I have never used apple or an iPhone.

I will give that a look. Have you any experience with it? Obviously not for the iPhone but just in general?

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all,

I'm new to the home server side of things and would like a bit of advice on how to do a few things.

First off my server is already built and up and running with Windows 8 Pro.

I can give info on my system as necessary but I'm looking more at how to do certain things beyond setting up Storage Spaces on my HDD array.

To the point I would like help on how to do the following:

• Setup and Create back ups for my main PC on a regular schedule
  • Also I'd like a clean easy way to allow my wife to be able to back up her iPhone and iPad to the server, even scheduled if possible
  • Host an iTunes/media server
  • Any other tasks I haven't mentioned but would need with a WHS  :rolleyes: (sorry I'm out of steam from a long hard day at work)

If I need to clarify or give more details please let me know and thanks in advance!

For backups have a look at "Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE" https://www.veeam.com/endpoint-backup-free.html

What are you trying to backup on the iPhone and iPad? They already back up to iCloud don't they? If your trying to backup your photos to the server for sharing thats going to be very easy if you decide to use Plex, Have a look at the Plex features https://plex.tv/features

Hosting an iTunes/Media Server have a look at Plex https://plex.tv/

Edited by itGEEKS