RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Needing some advice

firehawk_77

Hello all,

I'm new to the home server side of things and would like a bit of advice on how to do a few things.

First off my server is already built and up and running with Windows 8 Pro.

I can give info on my system as necessary but I'm looking more at how to do certain things beyond setting up Storage Spaces on my HDD array.

To the point I would like help on how to do the following:

• Setup and Create back ups for my main PC on a regular schedule
  • Also I'd like a clean easy way to allow my wife to be able to back up her iPhone and iPad to the server, even scheduled if possible
  • Host an iTunes/media server
  • Any other tasks I haven't mentioned but would need with a WHS  :rolleyes: (sorry I'm out of steam from a long hard day at work)

If I need to clarify or give more details please let me know and thanks in advance!

Just a quick answer on your first point (the others I have no idea, never used)

I would go for Veeam Endpoint Backup installed on your Guests and directing the Backup files to your Server. You can scheule there a regular backup. Out of my own experience it is really working very reliable.

Thanks for that!

Is it because you feel the back up that MS does via the OS isn't as good?

I really need help with #2 as the wife is paying for iCloud storage that we could be doing local, but she's tech adverse it needs to be something easy yet reliable in backing up wirelessly to the server.

Sorry for not helping on #2 but I wanted to answer your question. I had a breakdown of my Client Laptop and at that time I was doing a test withthree backups. Windows, Acronis and Veeam. Unfortunately the test wasn't finished so I had to try a lot and created some new bad words at that time but Veeam backup was the only backup which was restored without any issues. And as Murphy already knew it was my last backup type I tried. Windows and Acronis had both issues and the Laptop were not running.

That i sthe reason why I suggested it.

Thanks for that!

Is it because you feel the back up that MS does via the OS isn't as good?

I really need help with #2 as the wife is paying for iCloud storage that we could be doing local, but she's tech adverse it needs to be something easy yet reliable in backing up wirelessly to the server.

How much storage is she using on iCloud? I am not a Apple guy, but I tend to recommend OneDrive as it supports all mobile devices. If you use Office365 you have 1TB free on OneDrive. You could pull her OneDrive info onto your server.

Veeam backup was the only backup which was restored without any issues. 

seems like a strong endorsement. I will be giving it a look-see.

any down sides to this? how does it compare performance-wise?