RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Windows 10 access to WHS 2011 Remote Desktop - HELP!

sdinse

Has anyone been able to connect via Remote Desktop to a computer behind WHS 2011 using Edge in Windows 10?  When I tried from my freshly upgraded(Win 8.1 to Win10) laptop I got the error stating that "This web site needs to run the following add-on: Remote Desktop Services ActiveX Client.  The add-on is currently not turned on.".  Under Win 8.1 and Internet Explorer, I had no problem accessing the computers on my home system through WHS 2011.  Googling tells me that Edge(IE's replacement) does not support ActiveX.  So my question is, how is this supposed to work?  If there is no ActiveX in Edge, and WHS 2011 Remote Desktop requires it for access, then what is the work-around?  Can a parallel installation be done with an older version of Internet Explorer?

Ideas or experiences welcome!

Thanks,

Steve

Nether Chrome or Firefox support Active X, only IE.  I know of some people that have ripped out Edge and installed IE 11.  I'd try that.

SOLVED!  Sort of . . .

I found that IE 11 is still installed after the upgrade and it just needs to be set up again by putting my home server URL into the compatibility list, otherwise I was getting a flash of the server logon screen and then a 404 message when attempting to connect.  Using IE 11 is the answer for now.  Maybe someday they'll update WHS 2011 or Edge or both so that they are compatible with each other.  I'm not holding my breath. :rolleyes:

Edge has some nice features, but backwards compatibility isn't one of them.  Too bad, I would have liked to move on.  :mellow:

I find edge very limiting. Have been using 10 at work and home and still waiting for RSAT tools. On edge we have a ticketing system that is pop upend base so in ie I set it to open pop ups in tabs of same browser. No such function in edge

Internet Explorer is still installed on Windows 10.  Program Files (x86)>Internet Explorer>iexplore,exe  I didn't look but I suspect IEx64 is there also.  (yes it is)

• 2 weeks later...