RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

How do I get data from my old Win 8.1 machine to my new Win 7 machine?

Rod at home

Rod at home

I've got a new PC, which is a Windows 7 Pro machine. My old PC is a Windows 8.1 Pro machine. Naturally I want to get everything off of the old machine onto the new machine, but that is going to be VERY difficult. I mean especially since Microsoft got rid of the whole Easy Transfer stuff in Windows 8/8.1.

So how do I get things off of my old Win 8.1 machine onto my new Win 7 machine?

schoondoggy

From your other post they are on the same network. You could just copy over the network. How much data do you need to move?

Are all of your Ethernet connections and router Gigabit? 

Rod at home

With the exception of the new computer, no other computers are Gigabit enabled. The router is Gigabit router, though. So you're suggesting just opening up Windows Explorer (File Explorer) and copying from one to another?

schoondoggy

With the exception of the new computer, no other computers are Gigabit enabled. The router is Gigabit router, though. So you're suggesting just opening up Windows Explorer (File Explorer) and copying from one to another?

You will need to share the drive on the old PC to the new. Then copy in Windows Explorer.

Rod at home

I'm guessing I'll have to move about 30 GB, at least for my files (documents, source code, programs I've written and those executables, etc.) Two of my daughters have about 10 GB each (mostly in .MP3 files or whatever iTunes saves files as.)

jmwills

Something like TeraCopy will be faster than Windows Explorer, better yet XCopy or PowerShell.  But probably TeraCopy will suit you better,