RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Rod at home

Why would adding a PC stop my router from working?

Rod at home

My old PC is slowly dying. Since this weekend is our state's "tax free" weekend, I decided to get a new desktop. It's a Dell XPS desktop.

I've got it connected via RF-45 cable to the router. It has Windows 7 Professional. Initially it couldn't find any website. Pinging anything failed. I wasn't sure what was going on.

And then things got really weird. All computers on our network lost connectivity to the Internet. Error messages about the DNS server being lost, which in a home environment, as I understand it, means the everything lost connectivity to the router. I rebooted the router and things seem to be fine now, including the new PC being able to reach the Internet, but why would simply adding a PC ruin the whole thing?

And another weird thing about this. My old PC, which is a Windows 8.1 Professional machine, just shut itself down. Why would the router coming back on make it shut itself off?

schoondoggy

What brand and model is the router?

How many devices are connected to it by RJ45?

Rod at home

The router is a NETGEAR Nighthawk router (can't remember the model number).

As far as devices that are connected by RJ45, now 4 devices are connected via RJ45. 3 PCs and one external HD (a Seagate).

oj88

The symptoms you describe seems like a textbook duplicate IP address problem. The XPS could be using a static IP address that is exactly the same as your router/gateway.

Before reconnecting the new PC, make sure that it is configured to receive an IP address via DHCP.

If that didn't work, there could be an underlying physical problem with the PC's NIC.

• Like 1

TLN

Either it have duplicate IP address, as mentioned here.

Or it was working as server for some network and have DHCP up and running. PC's in your network get IP address from old computer insted of netgear and it goes to nowhere.

Easiest way to check it, open start - click in "run" field. put 'cmd' there(remove '). and write ipconfig. Then compare the outputs and fix issues, or post output here ;)

Rod at home

Hmmm. OK. I don't know how that could happen, but I also don't know why it wouldn't happen. At least it explains what happened. So maybe what I should have done is started a command prompt, entered an "ipconfig /renew" command or at least rebooted that new PC.

jmwills

Do you require users on your wireless network to have a password?