RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Fan filters for the door?

paradox

I've set my fan speed to 70% (which is quite loud) and stuck it in an empty 'closet' where the router is, it gets nice and cool in there and can't even be heard with the door shut, so that's great.

Only thing is I've notice that with the fan running faster (and even before now actually) that dust would build up along the intake holes in the front of the server - I don't want this thing to be caked with dust inside after 2 months, so I was thinking - fan filters.

Here's a pic of the dust build up, and I gave it a clean no less than a week ago:

6QqLZCi.jpg

Can only imagine it getting much worse after a few months.

These are the temps I get with my setup (at idle, and iLO temps):

gGe2hLB.png

(This is also in addition to the extra cooling added shown here:)

CxPhiPu.jpg

I found these DEMCiflex fan filters which have a magnetic strip along the outline which I think might hold on to the door of the Gen8, what do you guys think? has anyone tried anything like this?

Small Edit: Apparently they come with their own adhesive magnetic strips to use with them, so it wouldn't matter if they can stick directly to the door or not.

CM-016-DF_54299_350.jpg

I measured the intake holes in the door, lengthways they measure about 17.2cm apart and vertically about 10.2cm apart.

From the top intake hole to the top of the door there is about 2.5cm maximum of room, the bottom only 1.3cm, the left side of the door 1.5cm, and the right side is the same I think.

I don't know if any single one of the filters is an appropriate fit because of the odd dimensions, but I sent the store an email to enquire about it and will let you guys know.

Here's the whole lot of them: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/productlist.php?groupid=701&catid=1428&sortby=nameAsc&subid=2363&mfrid=624

Edited by paradox

A/C filters seems to work nice. You can get one in bulk and just cut it down to size. Though, it should be slightly bigger than the actual area it is occupying to cover all the edges. With the door closed, the filter is pinched and it's not going anywhere. I did something similar with a Gen 7 below.

DSC_0002_zps9lgpvgyn1_zpsooodwjj9.jpg

• Like 1

Let me do some digging for pics of some servers we had in Iraq.  An "OMG" moment is sometimes good for the soul.

yeah i'd like to know about filters as well. my server is in the living room and close to the floor so it gathers dust like there's no tomorrow!

I just cut a square of fly wire screen mesh and put it in the door. The inner part of the door screws off and I sandwiched it in there. Seems to do a good job of collecting dust and I just give the door a vacuum when it builds up.

• Like 2

I use the DEMCIflex filters on custom desktops and they have worked well.  However, if you ever have to peel the magnet part off the metal, it leaves residue that's fun to clean off, so hopefully you don't have to use the adhesive magnet portion.

That's a very modest amount of dust you have though, so I don't know how much you're going to need the filter.

If you want to do it the poor man's way, use a dryer fabric softener sheet on the inside of the server door, but I think you're better without.

• 2 months later...

I just cut a square of fly wire screen mesh and put it in the door. The inner part of the door screws off and I sandwiched it in there. Seems to do a good job of collecting dust and I just give the door a vacuum when it builds up.

What size wire mesh did you use?  It must have had some pretty small openings if it is able to collect dust?  Would you say it is something like a 100x100 wire mesh screen - as seen here: http://www.bwire.com

I believe this would mean that there are 100 openings and 100 wires per inch of this mesh material.

Excellent idea, look forward to trying the same myself...

On the G7, you can take the door apart, there's the inner metal skin and the outer plastic skin. You can sandwich some thin filter material between the two. That's what I did on all of my G7s. Not looked into it for the G8 yet.

On the G7, you can take the door apart, there's the inner metal skin and the outer plastic skin. You can sandwich some thin filter material between the two. That's what I did on all of my G7s. Not looked into it for the G8 yet.

You can also do this with Gen8. I have done it and it doesn't seem to mess with the temps if u have a thin pair of tights sandwiched in between :D