RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Restarting a HyperV server machine

Don W

I have a general gee whiz question. I just started playing around with HyperV and have a Windows 10 machine with HyperV Server enabled and i installed WHS 2011 in a VM but what happens when I forget that it is running and restart my PC. Does the VM just pick up where it left off when I start it?

Thanks

Depends on the settings for the VM actually.

HyperV has two sets of three options:

What to do when the Host system is shut down:

1. Save the VM's State.  Basically suspends the VM, to be returned nearly instantly.
  2. Turns off the VM.  hard power off, like pulling the power plug.
  3. Shuts down the VM. Initates a graceful shutdown of the VM, but this requires that the guest tools be installed and working.

Then, when the system starts back up:

1. "Nothing".  Meaning it doesn't restart the VM at all. Ever. You have to do this manually. This is great for dev/testing environments that don't matter if they come back up.
  2. "Automatically start if it was running when the service stopped".  Basically, if the VM was on when the server shut down, then start that sucker back up!
  3. "Always start this virtual machine automatically".  Starts the VM regardless of it's last known state. This is ideal for hosting stuff.  Such as WHS2011. That way, it always starts up. 

Additionally, the startup has an "Automatic Start delay".  This is so you can stagger the startup, so you're not loading 20 VMs at the same time, or causing so much IO on the disk that you bottleneck the disk(s). 

The defaults are to "Save" and "automatically start up if it was running".  

I think the default setting is to return to the state when the host shutdown or rebooted.

Yes, it is.  And the default "shutdown action" is to save the state of the VM when  the host shuts down or reboots.