RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Server backups failing - how do I scandisk a backup drive?

Trimble Epic

Ok, I realize Scandisk probably isn't what I want, but that's along the lines of what I was thinking..

So I've got a WS2012R2E server (TS140 12g) running 1 (500g) main drive, 1 (2tb) extra drive, and 1 (2tb) "backup drive" that's in a USB3 dock.  Backups have been running twice a day for months no problem, but I just realized that a few weeks ago, the backups started failing.

So, I go into Dashboard > Devices > server properties and I see all the Unsuccessful backups...  The error message I'm seeing is is "An error occurred while writing to the backup target."   What do I check first?  My first thought was to scan the disk for errors, but it's not a drive letter, so I'm not sure how.

I'm not sure where to start troubleshooting errors on a dedicated backup drive.   help?

SpinRite would be a good tool to have in your toolbox.  It's not free but it does work.  How large of a drive are you using?

I think you can give it a drive letter manually but be sure to remove it after re: cryptolocker etc...

SpinRite would be a good tool to have in your toolbox.  It's not free but it does work.  How large of a drive are you using?

I have spinrite.   All my machines fail to scan any 2tb drives, so I didn't even consider it.

I also have MHDD, but it also requires a dedicated machine to run (uses timing, so no multitasking) ... I guess I could pull out an old box and run it...  ugh.

Would Stablebit Scanner actually repair a drive?  or does it just scan and report errors?

Don't know about StableBit.  Will have to wait until our resident StableBit expert checks in.

1. Add a different disk to the external drive and see if it will manually start a backup. (You must first add that disk to the system backup list).

2. If that doesn't work then plug the external USB into another computer and see if it works.

I find my external USB backup gives errors when it gets pretty full. I put a second disk in and wipe the first one. ( I know I should be alternating disks and keeping one offsite.)

Ok, I realize Scandisk probably isn't what I want, but that's along the lines of what I was thinking..

So I've got a WS2012R2E server (TS140 12g) running 1 (500g) main drive, 1 (2tb) extra drive, and 1 (2tb) "backup drive" that's in a USB3 dock.  Backups have been running twice a day for months no problem, but I just realized that a few weeks ago, the backups started failing.

So, I go into Dashboard > Devices > server properties and I see all the Unsuccessful backups...  The error message I'm seeing is is "An error occurred while writing to the backup target."   What do I check first?  My first thought was to scan the disk for errors, but it's not a drive letter, so I'm not sure how.

I'm not sure where to start troubleshooting errors on a dedicated backup drive.   help?

Run "cmd /k mountvol"

Figure out which disk is the server backup drive (eg, the one without a letter).

Then run "chkdsk \\?\Volume{xxxxxx} /f", where the \\?\Volume stuff is the disk in question.

Alternative, use Disk Management (diskmgmt.msc) to assign a drive letter to the disk, and then run chkdsk that way.

I have spinrite.   All my machines fail to scan any 2tb drives, so I didn't even consider it.

I also have MHDD, but it also requires a dedicated machine to run (uses timing, so no multitasking) ... I guess I could pull out an old box and run it...  ugh.

Would Stablebit Scanner actually repair a drive?  or does it just scan and report errors?

As for StableBit Scanner ... it depends.

The surface scan doesn't repair (it's a requested feature, and ... a very complicated one to do write, eg without destroying your data).

However, the file system scan is a simple "chkdsk" command initiated via Windows API.  This is done monthly as part of the disk scan, and done in a read only manner.  If it detects file system damage, it will report that and prompt you to fix the file system. This runs a normal chkdsk pass on the volume (eg "chkdsk x: /f") and that can fix the disk.

I managed to get a CHKDSK on the backup drive, and now I've gotten a successful backup run..  Finally.

Question - if the server grows larger than a single backup drive can handle, does WSB ask for more drives during the backup process?  

Depends on what you mean.  

Generally, if it runs out of space on the drive, it will just start pruning older backups, to make space.

I mean, if my backup drive is a 2tb drive, and I expand the server to over 4 or 5 actual used TB, what happens when I try to do a full backup?  and what happens with subsequent backups?