RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Parsons

N36L and Windows 10

Helzy

Ok so here is how I did mine, Windows 2008 R2 original OS. Went to the HP driver support page and ran the online FW update for the Broadcom NIC. I then did the BIOS update utilizing  O41100113.rom and rompaq sp64420 (make the key, replace rename the .rom file on the flash key, super easy) added a startech pcie sata controller (Asmedia 106x) and a ToughArmor MB994IPO-3SB Full Metal 2 Bay 2.5" SAS/SATA HDD & SSD Backplane Cage with Slim ODD Tray for 5.25" Bay. Installed a blu-ray and two Intel 300GB SSD drives that i planned to mirror with WIndows 7 (they only run sata 2 speed but w/e they are still plenty fast enough this unit which becomes my htpc) also installed an AMD radeon HD 6450. Proceeded to install windows 7. I can give you the exact details of the driver version as I finished the OS install mirrored the drives and did an upgrade using a windows 10 enterprise install from my msdn sub. I can tell you though that the upgrade worked very well and I am using the Broadcom NetXtreme driver 16.8.1.0 dated 9/12/2013

So I wonder if the difference might be the online FW update for the Broadcom NIC?

http://h20564.www2.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?sp4ts.oid=6525483&swItemId=MTX_b83a5adfc7604df0bf398a4b89&swEnvOid=4064

• Like 1

Parsons

I tried again with driver versions and bios combinations which have worked for others but I wasn't able to install windows 10 via the upgrade from windows 7. In all cases the NIC refused to start. In the end I bought a cheap TPlink PCIe NIC for $18 and disabled the onboard NIC. All going well now.

Windows won't activate now though its difficult to believe that a change in NIC would be enough to upset prior validation - however I'm certain that can be resolved.

Helzy

I tried again with driver versions and bios combinations which have worked for others but I wasn't able to install windows 10 via the upgrade from windows 7. In all cases the NIC refused to start. In the end I bought a cheap TPlink PCIe NIC for $18 and disabled the onboard NIC. All going well now.

Windows won't activate now though its difficult to believe that a change in NIC would be enough to upset prior validation - however I'm certain that can be resolved.

Did you do the FW update for the onboard NIC?

Parsons

That firmware update wouldn't progress on my N36L running Windows 7 due to some incompatibility which I've now forgotten. Its is likely that you had a different OS installed when you ran it? It was quite old firmware.

I eventually worked out that it wasn't worth my time trying to resolve when $18 for a different NIC was all that was required

opm

I had the same issue as the OP, so thought I'd share my experience here.

I started with my N36L running Windows 7, no problems with the NIC (a Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet B57 series).  After applying the latest Win7 updates I was offered the Win10 update logo in the notification bar.  I chose to apply the Win10 update, after which everything looked ok except for having no internet connectivity.  As far as Win10 was concerned, the network cable wasn't connected.

A quick search online told me that N36/N40/N56 users had faced a similar problem when moving from Windows 7 to Windows 8, or from Windows Server 2010 up to Windows Server 2012, and the suggested "fix" was to update the N36L BIOS to the official 2013-10-01 release from HP (or to a custom BIOS based on this official version).  I applied the BIOS update, noting that it was upgrading me from a 2009 version of the BIOS.  The BIOS upgrade was simple, but after a reboot the NIC still wasn't working in Win10.

A bit more searching online, and the top two suggestions seemed to be (1) update the firmware of the NIC (2) update the Windows driver for the NIC.  I went for option (2), updating the Broadcom driver from 16.8.1.0 to 17.2.0.2 and after rebooting Win10 the NIC was working again.  Success!

It's worth noting that Windows Update did not identify that there was a driver update available for the NIC - I downloaded and applied the driver update manually.

I don't know if the N36L BIOS update was necessary to overcome the NIC problem, perhaps the NIC driver update would have solved the problem on its own?  But I applied both, BIOS first, and that did the job.

Ruud

Windows 10 (creators) running on N36L still in use as a kind of Homeserver after upgrading from whs 2011.

The November 2013 did the trick. But...

I am missing the keep always on settings in the power menu so the systems goes off after a while. Just the screen settings are available

Anyone with the same problem or a solution how to solve it?

Screenshot_20171113-090253.png

Edited by Ruud

Ruud

Solved for now: 

in extra power settings: just type "never" in the drop down menu at "sleep". It was not present in the menu.

sleep-options.jpg