RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Parsons

N36L and Windows 10

Parsons

I run Windows 7 on my N36L. Yesterday Windows update offered the Windows 10 upgrade so I tried it out. The install ran well but the NIC wouldn't start. I have the Nov 2013 bios so wasn't expecting this problem as I understood that the N36L will run Windows 8.1 with this bios. I tried changing the NIC driver from 16.8 to 17.03 but that didn't help.

I've run the roll-back process (very straightforward) and everything is fine again on Windows 7.

My question is has anyone managed to get Windows 10 running on the N36L or other HP microservers with the standard Broadcom NIC? Any suggestions about how to troubleshoot this?

Thanks

Helzy

I have Windows 10 Enterprise from my MSDN sub running on my N54L. Only difference is I used the Toby BIOS in place of the 2013 one and did not do any other modifications to the NIC settings. I also have a startech 2port SATA III pcie card to drive my OS on a mirrored matching pair of Intel SSD's (one of which was actually hit with the Intel 8MB bug a couple months ago) that purportedly had a lack of Windows 8 support but is working perfectly as well. Perhaps try the Toby one that was modded in 2013?

Joe_Miner

I have a N40L with the HP Stock BIOS Nov 2013 that was running Win 8.1 and it updated to Win 10 last Saturday with no issues.

• Like 1

Parsons

That's encouraging. Can you tell me the network card driver version you are using please.

Parsons

Thanks for that. Can you tell the network card driver version too please

Helzy

I'll check later tonight, I've been updating everyone in the house to Windows 10 and sadly there are 11 pc's in the house at the moment 6 of which still require the upgrade process. The N54L I am waiting for the wife to leave the house so I can drill some holes, paint and deploy it in stealth mode in the entertainment system (we are both on holidays but staycationing).

Speaking of the upgrade process, I am particularly impressed. Haven't upgraded a running OS since Win 3.11 - > Win95 days, as it was always problematic. The process M$ has used is really impressive. A bit lengthy, but impressive and stable on the 5 units I've done so far.

• Like 1

Parsons

Thanks. I will try again using the driver and bios version you have used successfully.

Agree regarding MS install procedure. Also very impressed with roll-back. Just selected the option in 10 from Restore and came back later to find Windows 7 all good to go at logon screen!

ct9001

I also ran Windows 7 on my N36L. I also installed the widows 10 update and the NIC wouldn't start. I am using the original bios. I tried changing the NIC driver as above but that didn't help.  If I have to change the bios.  Could someone send me a link to where I can get it and most importantly will it work or else I may have to roll back.

My question is has anyone managed to get Windows 10 running on the N36L  if so I would love to know how you did it..

Thanks

Helzy

I'll post my driver version tomorrow night, microserver is offline at the moment but will be up tomorrow night.

Parsons

I have updated my N36L to the Nov 2013 Bios which others reported had worked for Windows 10 however the Nic didn't start with this bios. It may be a Nic driver issue though I've tried a few. I have now changed the Bios to one of the modded ones based on the HP Nov 2013 Bios and will try again soon. I'll update this thread if I can get it working.

The Nov 2013 HP bios is linked in a thread on this site somewhere. Google SP64420.