RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Client Limits almost reached.

mailman1988

mailman1988

Due to drives failing and systems dieing from age, I'm reaching the max of 10 client limit on WHS V2.

My question is, as I delete the old backups and replace with new client names, will  the 10 client limit (total) be reached or will it only  be concerned with 10 "active" clients?

I will only have up to 10 active clients being backup'd, but may have had a total of 11 or so (over time) set up for back up. Hope I'm making my self clear.

eg: pc-1 through pc-10, than deleted pc-1 and replace it with pc-11, there still will only be a total of 10 clients being active.

If I remember correctly, v1 would need a full re-install to reset the number of client back ups to zero. Does v2 have the same issue? If so, How do I proceed?

Thanks in advance.

TS140 4G ram, 16T using Drive Bender, WHS 2011.

jmwills

I believe your analysis is correct.  There is a 10 "active" client limit.  You can still archive other clients and come back to them later if needed.

I don't know if the EULA was silently changed during the lifecycle of WHS2011 but, I currently have 13 client computers connected with no issues. I have a bit of a hazy memory but if I'm not mistaken, I only got a dialogue box saying, in effect, that I've exceeded the maximum number of connected client computers when I tried to add the 15th or 16th PC. However, users are still strictly limited to 10 and it won't allow you to add more than that.

WHS2011 came out during the time when BYOD was just starting to become a thing. Nowadays, the 10-client limit would be virtually inadequate. I myself already have 3 computers (Main PC, work laptop, and lab PC)

Drashna Jaelre

IIRC, you can remove the outdated clients from the server. It should prompt you if you want to keep the backups. If you do, it will create an "Archived Computers" section for the old computers.