RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Stach

T20 Raid 5 Controller Recommendation

Stach

I recently picked up a T20 during the last deal. In addition to a 4 drive RAID-5 array, I have and need an SSD boot drive and the built-in DVD burner. Since the onboard SATA controller only has 4 ports I would like to add either a 4 port RAID-5 controller or ideally a 6-8 port controller.

I'm hoping to find a nice quality new PCI-E card in the $100-150 range on eBay, but am willing to spend a little more elsewhere if need be to get a quality card. What are people on the forum using or do you recommend as I see some LSI models mentioned (some strangely don't do RAID-5) and I know that some Dell controllers can be found on eBay but am not sure about the quality.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Stach

jmwills

HighPoint RocketRaid 2720 has been a proven performer on these boards.

Stach

Are there any other recommendations as the HighPoint cards have quite a few negative comments about adding to the array or even being able to rebuild successfully?

GotNoTime

What are people on the forum using or do you recommend as I see some LSI models mentioned (some strangely don't do RAID-5)

They're the low end LSI cards. They're more like a HBA that can do basic RAID as a bonus feature than a proper RAID controller.

jmwills

Here's what I think about negative comments.  How many times have you gone back to a site and posted good comments?  However if you really pissed about something, the whole world will know.

Taffeys

Here's what I think about negative comments.  How many times have you gone back to a site and posted good comments?  However if you really pissed about something, the whole world will know.

Spot on.

Stach

Thanks for your RR 2720 recommendation. I tried two other adapters first, the HP P410 mostly worked (but kept dropping drives) and the LSI just plain sucked, so I wish I would have listened to you earlier, but I am very happy with my RR 2720.

The only thing missing is that I am unable to enable the BIOS (boot from it), but I wasn't planning to do that anyway so nothing lost. Also, it can take 1-2 minutes after booting Windows 10 before windows unfreezes and then allows access to the drive, but again, I don't mind as this is a server that's usually on 24x7.

Thanks again.

Stach

LoneWolf

I tend to like what Dell would use, or what might be similar.

That would probably mean a Dell PERC H710 or H710P, or, an LSI 9260-8i or 9261-8i.  Both can be found either used, or (in the case of LSI), OEM white box on eBay.

I would probably go for the LSI, because the T20 does not support Dell OpenManage, which would otherwise be able to monitor the controller.  No iDRAC that would integrate with it either.  All of these models have onboard cache to speed up array access.  And these models do RAID-5.

The one model I don't recommend that does do RAID-5 is the Dell PERC H310.  They're inexpensive.  They're okay for RAID 0/1.  They perform poorly under RAID-5, and have no caching.  I've seen a lot of poorly performing servers, where the H310 was the root cause; they buckle under sustained I/O.

Edited by LoneWolf

schoondoggy

Thanks for your RR 2720 recommendation. I tried two other adapters first, the HP P410 mostly worked (but kept dropping drives) and the LSI just plain sucked, so I wish I would have listened to you earlier, but I am very happy with my RR 2720.

The only thing missing is that I am unable to enable the BIOS (boot from it), but I wasn't planning to do that anyway so nothing lost. Also, it can take 1-2 minutes after booting Windows 10 before windows unfreezes and then allows access to the drive, but again, I don't mind as this is a server that's usually on 24x7.

Thanks again.

Stach

HP RAID controllers should only be used in HP servers.