RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Newbie HyperV question about adding storage

I like the flexibility that using VHDX provides. It really allows you to upgrade your underlying physical storage whenever you want.  If you get a new RAID card, you can just copy your VHDX to an external source, install the RAID card and copy the VHDX back.  I even boot to VHDX on my server.  I have old hard drives for the OS now, but I know I will want to upgrade to SSD in the future. When I do, I just copy the VHDX to the SSD, point the bootloader to it, and I am done.  With the way SSD prices are falling, in a few years you will want to replace those 3TB spinners with SSDs anyway. :)

• Like 1
  • 6 months later...

Thanks for all the info on this thread - I found it very useful as I'm about to do a similar thing with my server. I was going to use passthrough so that I could just rip out a HDD and plug it into any other machine at any time, but seeing as my other machines are all on W10, then I'm thinking that the flexibility of VHDX might be better.

My only concern is what about the options for backing up VHDXs on a Hyper-V server with multiple VMs running on it? Is there a free / cheap backup software that can run on the hypervisor that will be able to cover off all the VMs?

Thanks for all the info on this thread - I found it very useful as I'm about to do a similar thing with my server. I was going to use passthrough so that I could just rip out a HDD and plug it into any other machine at any time, but seeing as my other machines are all on W10, then I'm thinking that the flexibility of VHDX might be better.

My only concern is what about the options for backing up VHDXs on a Hyper-V server with multiple VMs running on it? Is there a free / cheap backup software that can run on the hypervisor that will be able to cover off all the VMs?

VDHX files are just "files".  Very big files, but you could use PowerShell to backup those files to an alternate locate.  Now, there is another way is these are all server platforms.  Windows Server has a built in backup mechanism so you could use that to push the backup to an external source