RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

N54L - Does it support 16GB RAM on a non-virtual OS?

mehtaman

As per the title really... Does the N54L support 16GB of RAM on a non-virtualised OS?

I current have 8GB of RAM installed and Windows Server 2012 loaded on and SSD drive.

Can I add another 8GB to the server and will Windows be able to use the additional RAM?

I've seen the posts about it working on VM's but can't see much regarding direct OS installs.

Thank you

there are reports of certain types of memory working with 16gb, but YMMV. Some careful web search may show the models of memory involved. one thing for sure, not supported by the vendor.

As per the title really... Does the N54L support 16GB of RAM on a non-virtualised OS?

I current have 8GB of RAM installed and Windows Server 2012 loaded on and SSD drive.

Can I add another 8GB to the server and will Windows be able to use the additional RAM?

I've seen the posts about it working on VM's but can't see much regarding direct OS installs.

Thank you

My N40L supports 16GB without a hitch, so the N54L, which is an 8th Gen, shouldn't have any issues.

My N40L supports 16GB without a hitch, so the N54L, which is an 8th Gen, shouldn't have any issues.

NL40 and NL54 are Gen 7

My N40 runs 16gig and I see no difference running OS in ESXi or on bare metal

NL40 and NL54 are Gen 7

My N40 runs 16gig and I see no difference running OS in ESXi or on bare metal

My bad, you are right, thanks :-)

ESXi uses up so little resources, I have to agree with TLN - there is no difference for the OS.

ESXi just offers an extra layer of flexibility, which a bare metal installation lacks. But it also adds an extra layer of complexity when you want to add a raid card for example.

I guess I'll have to try my luck and if anything buy memory from a company with a good returns policy :P

Is your HyperX Blu a single 8 GB stick? According to the N40L memory wiki Your RAM is good known working 2x8 GB sticks (EDIT I see you have the 1333MHz version cannot see why it wouldn't work)

Kingston HyperX Blu 16GB Kit (2x8 GB Modules) 1600MHz 240-pin DDR3 Non-ECC CL10 Desktop Memory 16GB KHX1600C10D3B1K2/16G KingSton

Which is this kit or equivalent I think Kingston changes models and stock more often than most of us change socks, sadly I thin you'd have to get lucky and eBay the exact kit known to work on the Wiki, however, spec wise I think they are identical:

FURY Memory Blue - 16GB Kit* (2x8GB) - DDR3 1600MHz CL10 DIMM

Part Number: HX316C10FK2/16

Specs: DDR3, 1600MHz, CL10, 1.5V, Unbuffered, Spec Sheet PDF

Timings: 1600MHz, 10-10-10, 1.5V

There is also a CL9 equivalent:

FURY Memory Blue - 16GB Kit* (2x8GB) - DDR3 1333MHz CL9 DIMM

Part Number: HX313C9FK2/16

Specs: DDR3, 1333MHz, CL9, 1.5V, Unbuffered, Spec Sheet PDF

Timings: 1333MHz, 9-9-9, 1.5V

But I suspect this Kingston Kit should work as well:

FURY Memory Blue - 16GB Kit* (2x8GB) - DDR3 1333MHz CL9 DIMM

Part Number: HX313C9FK2/16

Specs: DDR3, 1333MHz, CL9, 1.5V, Unbuffered, Spec Sheet PDF

Timings: 1333MHz, 9-9-9, 1.5V

Edited by Helzy

Thank you for the information Helzy!

I'll check out the kits and give one a try... i have 2x4GB cards at the moment so will need to get 2x8GB's :)

Thank you for the information Helzy!

I'll check out the kits and give one a try... i have 2x4GB cards at the moment so will need to get 2x8GB's :)

No problem.

I just received and installed this Kingston kit last night in my N54L - KVR1333D3E9SK2/16G works like a charm.