RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Dear Satya, My W10 Storage Requirements

JackoUK

The other thing I would say about MS's Insider Programme and new update policy forcing consumer versions to upgrade immediately after release is ...

... it could be great if MS play with a straight bat ...

... or exactly the major forcing tactic they have been missing by allowing customers to remain on XP or W7.

I'm going with the programme ... optimism again ...

"I'd like to see where that's been said....

And that's regardless of me working for Covecube and the issues we've documented for both, because I know that Microsoft would never admit that publically, no matter the reason.  And no matter if the throttling for OneDrive is atrocious (one hour or more for retry attempts), and that OneDrive for Business is just a front end for SharePoint."

I can't find the actual post but Jason Moore, the Programme Manager for OneDrive, was widely quoted in the media for pouring petrol on the flames in  the Technical Preview forum with:

We were not happy with how we built placeholders, and we got clear feedback that some customers were confused -- for example, with files not being available when offline -- and that some applications didn't work well with placeholders and that sync reliability was not where we needed it to be."

Sounds like the Programme Manager for the product admitted publicly that his baby didn't work too well!

Never say never Drashna.

Of course we didn't need his admission because regular users experienced the delays, the freezes requiring the rest tool and their Lightroom libraries collapsing.

After 1 week I've yet to sync my core working files of about 9GB from my W8.1 workstation to my W10 test laptop.

What I found difficult to believe (but of which I have no experience) is that the facade which is OneDrive for Business is even worse.

It is no wonder then that MS have decided to rebuild both products.

I regarded OneDrive on Windows 8.1 as near perfect .. and so did many others who complained about the functionality reduction.

I am hoping the Threshold 2 release will not disappoint ...

... but MS have a long, long history of forcing unwelcome changes on users without notice.

I am also hoping the Insider Programme will produce some pressure to keep MS on the straight and narrow in general and not just OneDrive. Optimistic I know.

Even though placeholders were a popular feature, there were issues. That is why they were removed. There is nothing in that quote admitting to anything. There were issues, so they made a change that is not popular. Hopefully they can bring back placeholders in some form.

• Like 1

What I found difficult to believe (but of which I have no experience) is that the facade which is OneDrive for Business is even worse.

It is no wonder then that MS have decided to rebuild both products.

OneDrive for Business is (not just powered by, but COMPLETELY IS) SharePoint. Anyone with ... basically any level of experience with SharePoint will understand the horror there........

I am vaguely aware of a hack to enable the ReFS driver ... maybe you could point us to it.

I am a bit conservative though and would prefer a formal Microsoft release.

Porbably the same way you can hack Dedup onto Windows 8 (or Essentials even).

The issue? It doesn't stick when you upgrade, and you don't get updates for it (to fix security issues or bugs).

That's ignoring the huge license issue, eg an egregious violation of the license agreement, to which you've agreed to. 

Even though placeholders were a popular feature, there were issues. That is why they were removed. There is nothing in that quote admitting to anything. There were issues, so they made a change that is not popular. Hopefully they can bring back placeholders in some form.

I agree. He doesn't specifically call out any features here. Just that it doesn't "work as we would like", basically. That's not admitting failure, that's admitting it's not what they envisioned.   The distinction may be subtle, but it's definitely there. 

• Like 1

I am vaguely aware of a hack to enable the ReFS driver ... maybe you could point us to it.

I am a bit conservative though and would prefer a formal Microsoft release.

I am using storage spaces.  Looks like that is the requirement. 

• Like 1

Just get Server 2012R2 and enable Desktop experience then load Office 365 Business...........

Even Server Essentials is £286 here in the UK ... I have 4 HP Microservers ... are you offering to pay ;-)

-snip-

I don't recall making an offer but congratulations on 4 MicroServers.......................

My point, the Server quality features you want/need appear available now with Server and Business quality SW. 

I'm liking it (Windows 10) and don't see this as that big a deal. I'm happy to wait for the issues to be addressed.

I'm liking it (Windows 10) and don't see this as that big a deal. I'm happy to wait for the issues to be addressed.

I haven't pulled the trigger on Windows 10 yet (only have Windows 8.1 Pro on an HP Stream Mini and Windows 7 Pro and Ultimate on our workstations). Based upon your comment I think I'll build an LGA1150 box with a Pentium G3220, 8GM memory and install Windows 10 on a 240GB SSD I have and try it out.