RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
JackoUK

Dear Satya, My W10 Storage Requirements

JackoUK

I haven't switched to Windows 10 because its ready or because it has anything I want for my home storage ... actually it has less ... but if, as Microsoft are suggesting, W10 is the last version of Windows then at some point in the future I might get my 2 main requirements:

1. A working OneDrive facility. The current 2 versions (consumer and business) are not fit for use, even by Microsoft's own admission. The W10 consumer version has less functionality than the W8 (placeholders).

2. ReFS ... which is working, I believe, but confined to server versions.

In the long term (5 years) I don't intend to have a home storage server: I expect to move everything to OneDrive and pay via an Office365 subscription (which will be way cheaper than maintaining my own hardware and software and contain additional free services like Office).

I switched also because I'm a cheapskate and its free!

I probably should have waited until the raft of changes in Threshold2 due October .. .and then a few more months to fix those up. 

Drashna Jaelre

1. I'd like to see where that's been said....

And that's regardless of me working for Covecube and the issues we've documented for both, because I know that Microsoft would never admit that publically, no matter the reason.  And no matter if the throttling for OneDrive is atrocious (one hour or more for retry attempts), and that OneDrive for Business is just a front end for SharePoint.

2. Yes, this is for Server versions only. And probably will be that way for a very long way. 

There is always Windows Server Essentials, and the hefty price tag it includes (even with a six month trial/eval period).

I have 65TBs of raw storage capacity (not counting my HyperV storage, my temp drive and some other stuff...) for very specific reasons. I'm a cheap bastard (ask my friends, they'll agree... a little too eagerly for my liking ... :P), but there is something about it being MY data, and not located at somebody else's data center...

• Like 1

schoondoggy

You seem to be looking for server features in a desktop os. Why not just get a server OS?

• Like 1

Joe_Miner

Just get Server 2012R2 and enable Desktop experience then load Office 365 Business...........

Poppapete

Better still get W10 and enable server features.

http://store.wegotserved.com/products/building-a-windows-10-home-server

We just have to trust that the the R2 of W10 due in October will make Onedrive all that it should be.  If it doesn't perform then W10 will not be the success that I crave where all my daily files are in the cloud and easily syncable and accessable from Desktop, Laptop and WindowsPhone (if it survives!).

• Like 1

kylejwx

I have been using ReFS on Windows 8.1 and now 10 for over a year now with no issues. Storage drive, not the Windows partition.

• Like 1

JackoUK

"I'd like to see where that's been said....

And that's regardless of me working for Covecube and the issues we've documented for both, because I know that Microsoft would never admit that publically, no matter the reason.  And no matter if the throttling for OneDrive is atrocious (one hour or more for retry attempts), and that OneDrive for Business is just a front end for SharePoint."

I can't find the actual post but Jason Moore, the Programme Manager for OneDrive, was widely quoted in the media for pouring petrol on the flames in  the Technical Preview forum with:

We were not happy with how we built placeholders, and we got clear feedback that some customers were confused -- for example, with files not being available when offline -- and that some applications didn't work well with placeholders and that sync reliability was not where we needed it to be."

Sounds like the Programme Manager for the product admitted publicly that his baby didn't work too well!

Never say never Drashna.

Of course we didn't need his admission because regular users experienced the delays, the freezes requiring the rest tool and their Lightroom libraries collapsing.

After 1 week I've yet to sync my core working files of about 9GB from my W8.1 workstation to my W10 test laptop.

What I found difficult to believe (but of which I have no experience) is that the facade which is OneDrive for Business is even worse.

It is no wonder then that MS have decided to rebuild both products.

I regarded OneDrive on Windows 8.1 as near perfect .. and so did many others who complained about the functionality reduction.

I am hoping the Threshold 2 release will not disappoint ...

... but MS have a long, long history of forcing unwelcome changes on users without notice.

I am also hoping the Insider Programme will produce some pressure to keep MS on the straight and narrow in general and not just OneDrive. Optimistic I know.

JackoUK

I have been using ReFS on Windows 8.1 and now 10 for over a year now with no issues. Storage drive, not the Windows partition.

I am vaguely aware of a hack to enable the ReFS driver ... maybe you could point us to it.

I am a bit conservative though and would prefer a formal Microsoft release.

JackoUK

Just get Server 2012R2 and enable Desktop experience then load Office 365 Business...........

Even Server Essentials is £286 here in the UK ... I have 4 HP Microservers ... are you offering to pay ;-)

Let me divide users into 3 classes:

- consumers, no interest in technology - it just has to work automatically

- experienced PC users, know their way around an OS and manage a small home network

- professionals: prosumers, administrators .. .and all the way up to expert MVP's

The combination of a Microsoft email account and OneDrive is perfect for consumers. It offers what was once an expensive enterprise class function of continuous data protection in the basic OS version. I applaud MS here ... indeed think they have given this feature away too cheaply, since their telemetry showed that the vast majority of users will not exceed the initial 15GB data allowance. Taking away placeholders was a disastrous move for this class of customer who do not wish to think.

Given the costs of cloud storage and broadband availability 5 years ago, the idea of a home data store for experienced users made sense. Putting it in WHS did not to me. Far better would have been to build the connector into every version of Windows and put the server functionality in the Pro version. That way an experienced user could simply buy 1 copy of Pro and add a large disk or 2 to his existing network ... and not have to learn a new OS and expose himself to a new file system. Forcing enterprise thinking on consumers was never going to work. I have an even lower opinion of the switch from WHS to Server Essentials - which ramped up the cost, enterpriseness and removed the good things in WHS!

At the top professional end? Anything goes. However even here I can conceive of a configuration which MS has, but does not promote, which might actually be adopted by the experienced and professional classes. Storage Spaces, like OneDrive, ... is promising. However its major benefit - fast rebuilding in failure mode - is only achieved with configurations of 8+ disks. Instead of the feeble HP WHS box ... I'd like to see a workstation grade 9 disk machine (1 SSD for the OS, 8 for data) with the option to add more disks. But you have to do this yourself.

However there is now one option which will give you enterprise grade hardware, Storage Spaces failure protection, state of the art power consumption and zero maintenance overhead ... and that is an Office 365 subscription with unlimited OneDrive storage space. It is the cheapest option and getting cheaper, and if you can get over the broadband connectivity issues clearly a good long term endpoint.

Buy its your choice ... and that's MS's biggest mistake, which they repeat time after time: they force things on customers instead of offering choices.

JackoUK

"but there is something about it being MY data, and not located at somebody else's data center..."

Gotcha ... and I too would not trust <any global corporation, politician> as far as I could throw a datacentre.

There is a mid-way position from my 'all in OneDrive' long-term option ... and that is to break your mirrors and keep just one copy of your data locally.

That way if you are betrayed then you can jump in your lifeboat.