RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Dave

Meetup 2015 Change of Venue Announcement

Dave

Letter 

Hey HSS Forums and Meetup 2015 Attendees, 

The Good 

Meetup 2015 is just around the corner and still on schedule for September 12th, in Indiana.  If you are anywhere near this area you should consider attending.  If you are not in this area and still want to attend jump into one of the threads here and tell us where you live.  Maybe there is someone driving that can pick you up. Share some gas costs maybe?  There could be someone else contemplating the drive and you speaking up may make it happen.  Don't be shy! 

The Bad 

I have a story for you.  This past week has been extremely stressful on Meetup planning.  I booked the meeting space for Meetup 2015 on April 22nd. Verbal was given prior to this date as well. I got an e-mail from the hotel that another group had booked the space prior to my booking it.  Yes, three months later!  I was told that the other group booked in January and the way my event was booked (6PM on the 11th to 6PM on the 12th) it was missed.  The staff booking my event didn't happen to see that the 12th was booked?  How this happened I have no clue as this is a major part of this person's job is to book this room and not double book it!  Do I sound mad? Yeah.  I was. 

I finally got an actual phone call from this person and not once did this person apologize for the error.  Yes, they did try to find accommodations for our group and did find a Hampton Inn in Fishers that had a room compatible with my requests.  It was open on the 12th too.  I left a message at Hampton immediately and it was never returned. I called the front desk a few days later and was told the room was booked September 12th.  I left a message with the GM and it was never returned.  Room booked eh? Whatever.  Do I sound mad? Yeah.  I was. 

The whole thing was exacerbated by the fact that we required more internet than they were willing to give.  Yes, they still haven't upgraded their Internet service for their guests.  If they have they still don't know how to call in a MAC Address on a port and cap it at 3 Mbps.  They gave us 3Mbps last year and the years prior.  I always had to call the IT group to get it turned on and applied to the Ethernet port in the room.  It was also overlooked that I was going to bring in catering.  I was never asked and honestly didn't see it in the contract.  All of a sudden it is not available to me this year as it has been the previous 3 years.  No problem, I asked if I could keep the room and not have internet, and not bring in outside catering.  I just need the room.  A compromise could not be worked out as our group needs it the entire day. 

The Ugly 

This would have been our 4th year at this hotel and not once did the THREE Sales Directors before this one screw it up.  I called a professional banquet hall nearby to check availability and told them the story.  I was told that this has "happened a lot" with this particular hotel. So my group isn't the only one that has been booted.   Somehow, someway, I feel that we were treated unjustly for reasons not known to me.  Internet? Catering? Did we somehow get the past Sales Directors fired?  Are there laws on the books for treating a group of people differently than others?   You know how you tell 10 people when you get bad service? Yeah, I'm gonna tell thousands! An apology would have went a long way to making this right. 

If you have booked a room at the previous Meetup 2015 location your booking is still good.  It will be honored according to them.  The price will be honored as well.  Check and double check however.  If you call to get a room now you will not get the HSS Meetup rate.  That is long gone.  There are plenty of hotels in that area though.  I suggest you look at them all.  I'm also not going to tell you guys who are booked there to cancel and go somewhere else.  That would not be right of me. Besides, you got a good rate and they would turn around and make more money renting your room to someone else.  Do what you have to do. 

I've been frantically trying to get a spot for Meetup 2015 thanks to this.  It's a little more than one month away and getting a spot for our group is not easy.  I thought getting it in April would have been sufficient! Do I sound mad? Nope, not anymore. 

I found a few spots that would have worked but there was always a "but" involved. No internet, no catering, expensive, etc.  I had to call in my trusted circle of forum mods for some help.  I sent out an urgent message to Schoondoggy1979, Joe_Miner, CSKenney, and JCollison.  All of which had great ideas for me on where to look.  John Stutsman(Joe_Miner) was popping out ideas like crazy.  I'm not sure who actually said, "Call Microsoft," but someone did and it was all downhill from there. 

The Excellent 

My contact here in Indianapolis was able to secure the Microsoft Enterprise Partner Group Office for our use for Meetup 2015.  How awesome is that?  She made some calls and secured the building for our use almost immediately after learning that we had been booted from our first location. 

I cannot thank Microsoft enough for stepping up and saving the day.  We are also going to invade the Microsoft Store that evening and show the store some love. Last year I purchased several hundred bucks in Insteon gear so who knows what I'll walk out with this year!  Would be nice to see a Surface Pro 4!  

My apologies for the long winded story but I thought you might want to know what was going on.  I tried to convey the events as factual as possible.  This person made a mistake and it caused me a week of grief and some sleepless nights.  Again, an apology would have helped but it worked out in the end.  I personally will never do business with this hotel or the Hampton Inn in Fishers.  Ever.  That's just me and I'm not telling you to do the same.  Do what you wish.  All I know is we are going to have a great Meetup 2015 regardless of where we have it or what we eat.  You can't keep this group of geeks down!  More info will follow soon.  Addresses, schedules, etc. 

#BestMeetupEver 

Dave 

• Like 1

vinylfreak

Wow!!

That sounds like a big bucket of $h** !!!

Very sorry to hear what you had to go through.

Sounds like you will still be able to pull it off!

Kudos to Microsoft!

I know you will have a Great! meetup! as usual.

What ever happened to Customer Service??!

• Like 1

yodafett

Thanks for the heads up Dave, I will probably try and locate a new room closer to the venue especially if for some reason we can not set up on Friday night.   Sorry for the additional stress just let us know where to meet otherwise might can wrangle our company conference room by the airport.

awraynor

I'll be glad to change to a different hotel close to the Microsoft office if it will be more convenient and take

money away from the Holiday Inn Express. 

yodafett

I'll be glad to change to a different hotel close to the Microsoft office if it will be more convenient and take

money away from the Holiday Inn Express. 

That's what I'm thinking too.  With the wife joining me would prefer she to be close due to medical issues.  If it is the MS office I found there is a regular Holiday Inn and a couple others across the freeway maybe a 10 min walk for her if she wanted to head back to the room.  Maybe we can plan a spousal outing for the felt abandoned wives

jsox

What a crock. Where exactly is the Microsoft office? Coud An address? Googling and Binging the text string didn't convince me I had found it. If find I'd like to consider a different place at which to spend my overnight dollars. Whether they rent my room to someone else at a high rate or not it wouldn't be my dollars supporting their business.

• Like 1

Al_Borges

There aren't a lot of spare hotel rooms in Indy, so verify a new reservation before canceling the holiday inn express

As a "local", I could swing by the old hotel and give a lift to the new venue on my way in.

The new venue seems to be very close, if not adjacent to the Microsoft store

As far as spousal outings, there are several neat museums and such in " Nap town" that are worth going to

Sent from my IdeaTab S6000-F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

awraynor

Well probably better stick with what we've got, but we will know for next time. It's not like any of the site members are business professionals or know any

business professionals that could be in search of a hotel room anytime soon. 

thanlindley

A address or general location of Microsoft Office would be good for those who do not have a hotel room booked yet. 

Thanks,

Dave

Hey guys,

I wanted a chance to take a look at the facility before giving you the address but I understand it creates some concern!  So, address is: 8900 Keystone Crossing, Indianapolis IN 46240 Map here

I'm still going to recon the area although it's a simple walk to the Microsoft Store.  There is a Sheraton and Marriott in the area but I bet there rate is twice what you have now.  If you are bringing someone with you that is going to shop during our meetup this is a fantastic area and it might be worth it to get a room around the office.