RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

P410 motherboard/CPU compatibility

mattwilkins

I've just ordered a P410 for my N54L micro server, and I'm wondering, if in the future I want to move my array to another PC, are there any specific motherboards/CPUs/Chipsets that this is/isn't compatible with? Is it very much a case of it has only been tested with HP hardware or should it work on pretty much any system?

Thanks

It should work on pretty much any system.

Thanks, figured as much, but wanted to check anyway. Thanks for your help in my other thread too.

It should work on pretty much any system.

That isn't true for HP Smart Array cards. The firmware for them attempts to use Proliant specific hooks and interfaces. HP only support them on Proliants and not all Proliants either. Those extra firmware hooks can cause issues on non HP motherboards or even on an unsupported Proliants.

The old HP P400 cards would hang at boot up for some motherboards because of the Proliant specific hooks that got added in a version of the firmware. You had to either use an old version of the firmware or set the option in your motherboard firmware to not attempt to load the option ROM. Not loading the option ROM would mean you can't boot from the array though. The P400 card is really old now and not useful due to the speed and capacity limitations however.

I've got a P400 in a HP ML115 G1 here and later version of the firmware hang at boot. It worked fine however in a HP ML115 G5 though and the only way I could downgrade the firmware. IIRC neither are listed as compatible with the P400.

Somebody reports firmware version related boot hangs on a HP P411 card that was inserted into a Dell server.

I've just ordered a P410 for my N54L micro server, and I'm wondering, if in the future I want to move my array to another PC, are there any specific motherboards/CPUs/Chipsets that this is/isn't compatible with? Is it very much a case of it has only been tested with HP hardware or should it work on pretty much any system?

As I mentioned above, HP only supports Smart Array cards into Proliants and they have to be a supported Proliant. Using it in anything else has no guarantee that it'll work. The same also applies to firmware updates, if it works now then there is a chance that a later firmware update will break it in that specific motherboard. Edited by GotNoTime

That isn't true for HP Smart Array cards. The firmware for them attempts to use Proliant specific hooks and interfaces. HP only support them on Proliants and not all Proliants either. Those extra firmware hooks can cause issues on non HP motherboards or even on an unsupported Proliants.

The old HP P400 cards would hang at boot up for some motherboards because of the Proliant specific hooks that got added in a version of the firmware. You had to either use an old version of the firmware or set the option in your motherboard firmware to not attempt to load the option ROM. Not loading the option ROM would mean you can't boot from the array though. The P400 card is really old now and not useful due to the speed and capacity limitations however.

I've got a P400 in a HP ML115 G1 here and later version of the firmware hang at boot. It worked fine however in a HP ML115 G5 though and the only way I could downgrade the firmware. IIRC neither are listed as compatible with the P400.

Somebody reports firmware version related boot hangs on a HP P411 card that was inserted into a Dell server.

As I mentioned above, HP only supports Smart Array cards into Proliants and they have to be a supported Proliant. Using it in anything else has no guarantee that it'll work. The same also applies to firmware updates, if it works now then there is a chance that a later firmware update will break it in that specific motherboard.

Good to know.

I knew they had hooks built in, but did not know they had created issues in other systems.

I did run a P420 in a SuperMicro server and it worked fine.

Thanks!

• 2 years later...