RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Maximum Sized Hard Drive

5aq1b

I have the N36L with modded BIOS, running WHS 2011.  I have an SSD slotted underneath the optical bay,  and 4 x HD's in the 4 bays, and also have a removable HD enclosure in the optical bay.  I like to slot hard drives into the caddy for backups but want to replace multiple back up drives with one larger drive, so my question is - what is the maximum sized hard drive that the N36L/WHS 2011 can see?

Windows Server 2008R2 can see any size drive you can attach.  Once the 2TB (GPT) threshold was passed, the sky is/was the limit.

Windows Server 2008R2 can see any size drive you can attach.  Once the 2TB (GPT) threshold was passed, the sky is/was the limit.

so I should be ok as WHS 2011 is based on 2k8 R2? I do have a 3TB drive with no issues.  Looking to add an 8TB drive for backups :)

Edited by 5aq1b

WHS2011 is Server 2008R2, so yes, you will be just fine.  There are a few of the regulars here using 6TB drives.  I personally use a RAID5 of 4x3TB WD Red drives.

WHS2011 is Server 2008R2, so yes, you will be just fine.  There are a few of the regulars here using 6TB drives.  I personally use a RAID5 of 4x3TB WD Red drives.

fantastic i'll give the large drives a go for my backups :)