RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Fix Folder Redirection for Windows 10 Clients

Drashna Jaelre

Unfortunately, due to somebodies INFINITE WISDOM at Microsoft (sorry, had to... you'll see why in a sec), the Folder Redirection Group Policy no longer works for Windows 10.

Specifically, the issue here is that the Group Policy relies on WMI Filters. This is fine (and really f***ing powerful) normally. 

However, in the update to Windows 10... something broke. 

The WMI Query used to identify Vista and up systems (which are the ones that support Folder Redirection) is this:

select * from Win32_OperatingSystem where (Version >= "6.1%") and ProductType = "1"

The issue here is that it targets any OS that is version 6.1 and up.  

The problem?  Apparently 10.x isn't greater than 6.1.  No, really.  Seriously. That's why it's failing.  

I'm not WMI expert here ... so I'm not sure why.  If anyone has a comment about this, please let me know. I would really love to know.

So to fix this issue, you need to change the query to this:

select * from Win32_OperatingSystem where (Version >= "6.1%" or Version like "10.%") and ProductType = "1"

All I added was "or Version like "10.%""  To the query. I'm not even sure this is correct or proper syntax, but it definitely works.

(The "ProductType = 1" part cause it to target CLIENT OS's only)

To fix this, you need to open the Group Policy Management console. To do so, log into your server (I'd say use RSAT for Windows 10.... but that's not out yet!.....)

1. Open up Administrative Tools (Control Panel ->  System And Settings -> Administrative Tools).
  2. Open up the "Group Policy Management" object.
  3. This will open a nice big window, with a big "tree" on the side.
  4. Open up "Forest: "MYDOMAIN.local" -> Domains -> "MYDOMAIN.local" -> WMI Filters
  5. Find the "WSE Group Policy WMI Filter" object.
  6. Right Click on it and select "Edit"
  7. In the Queries section, (it should say "root\CIMv2" on the left, and the query above listed), select the entry and and click "Edit"
  8. Copy and paste the code aboe into the "Query" box and hit "OK" 
  9. It will give you a warning here. It's fine. It will say
    • "Either the namespace entered here is not a valid namespace on the local computer or you do not have access to this namespace on the computer. It ii possible this is a valid namespace on the remote computer(s). If you wish to use this namespace, press OK. Press cancel to choose another namespace".
    • This is the namespace want, so hit "OK"
  10. Save the settings, and click "OK" till this is "completed" and closes all the dialog boxes.
    • Now for the fun part.... you need to update the group policy on each and every F***ING system that's you've already updated to Windows 10. 
      To do so, there are a few simple ways... the easiest is to run "gpupdate /target:user /force /logoff" on each system. This should automatically log you off, so you can re-apply the Folder Redirection Group Policy to your domain accounts.

Once you've done this, everything should be back to normal. yay!

Here is the original post, for reference

"WMI Filters for GPOs"

Anyone here familar with them?

The reason I ask, is that the default filter for the Folder Redirection doesn't target Windows 10 systems properly.

root\CIMv2, query:

select * from Win32_OperatingSystem where (Version >= "6.1%") and ProductType = "1"

This is one of the areas that I'm still pretty much a loss at.  Not even sure how to check this.

Well, I mean short of removing the "(Version >= "6.1%") and" section.  Removing this from the query string targets Client OS's only... regardless of the version.  It works, but it's not what I'd like to do here....

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Drashna Jaelre

• nrf

• GotNoTime

• Jason

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

yes, apparently microsoft uses n00b programmers too.

this indicates the development process did not even have a simple inspection process - passing that delta past anyone of experience would have yielded some comments one would think.

Drashna Jaelre

To answer my own question here, anyone that wants to get Folder Redirection working on Windows 10, edit the WMI filter query to this instead:

select * from Win32_OperatingSystem where (Version >= "6.1%" or Version like "10.%") and ProductType = "1"

Specifically, Replace "(Version >= "6.1%")" with "(Version >= "6.1%" or Version like "10.%")" 

Drashna Jaelre

Makes you wonder why 10.x is not greater than 6.1x doesn't it. Must be the new maths.

Exactly. :)

Absolutely bizarre.  Posted about it on the Technet forums, so maybe somebody at microsoft will see it and get a fix out ........

Great spot! thank you mate!!! 

Makes you wonder why 10.x is not greater than 6.1x doesn't it. Must be the new maths.

That's not new maths that's because the version is treated as a string not as a number. So there is not 10, it's just "1" which is less than "6".  :)

Drashna Jaelre

Great spot! thank you mate!!! 

That's not new maths that's because the version is treated as a string not as a number. So there is not 10, it's just "1" which is less than "6".  :)

Talking with somebody that is more familar with WMI commands, yeah, that's what the conclusion was.  But it make things "difficult" to say the least.  Or at least painful if you don't realize this was going to happen. :(

GotNoTime

A possibly cleaner way of doing it is to think of it from the other direction. Exclude the older versions and accept everything else.

The following query will only accept 6.1 or newer.

select version from Win32_OperatingSystem where not version like "[12345].%" and not version like "6.0.%"
Drashna Jaelre

A possibly cleaner way of doing it is to think of it from the other direction. Exclude the older versions and accept everything else.

The following query will only accept 6.1 or newer.

select version from Win32_OperatingSystem where not version like "[12345].%" and not version like "6.0.%"

Or if you're not using Vista or below (and if you are.... WHY!?!), just use this:

select * from Win32_OperatingSystem where ProductType = "1"

That targets only client OS's. 

Drashna Jaelre

I think the original author was confused. using > means a percent is not needed.

The original author was Microsoft. 

The WMI Filter is the built in one for the Folder Redirection GPO, that's enabled/created in the Dashboard.

So if it was wrong..... Go Microsoft.