RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Thoughts on Running Security Camera Software on a Server? Small Business Server install?

fredload

Hey Guys, I thought I would throw this question out to the forums and get some guidance. My wife has a small veterinary practice and I am getting ready to install a small Server running Essentials 2012 R2. We currently have a separate computer we use as storage and it currently is running blue Iris software for her security cameras. With the install of the server I was hoping to just pull that other computer out. What are your thoughts about running the Blue Iris security camera software on the server? I have a feeling it is not the best idea but wanted to see what you guys thought? I was thinking of just adding a separate drive for the security camera video storage. I appreciate any help I can get. This will be my first time installing a small server for my Wife's business as well, so any advice on that side would be appreciated as well. Thanks for the help!

for starters, have you evaluated how much 'resource usage' the software uses on the existing box? e.g. ram, cpu, disk write rate...

and can you then extrapolate to how much that might impact your new server? If, for example, your new server is 'double' the capability of the older server and the older one is not stressed, it may be no big deal.

from my setup I have observed that the playback of footage may take much more 'juice' than just recording the streams, so I tend to view from my more capable PCs (they have graphics cards where the server is more limited that way). just some thoughts, I am no expert.

• Like 1

If you're not using the server for a whole lot, and you have the hardware on it, then running blue iris on the server should be fine.

But depending on the hardware, .... well BlueIris can be very disk and CPU intensive, so you should watch out for that.

I was running BlueIris on my Server 2012R2 Essentials box. However, I run HyperV and media servers (which transcode) on Essentials as well... so it was really getting hammered.  Hence why the hardware you're using and the normal usage is important here.

That said, as for storage, why not considering a pooling solution such as StableBit DrivePool or Drive Bender. Both have a "landing zone" option (IIRC), so you could use the direct to disk on a SSD (or small, fast drive) and then offload on to storage drives... and it would be completely seamless from BlueIris' standpoint.  And then you could expand the storage as needed, without changing the configuration in BlueIris.

ip Camera

This thread is fairly long but worth reading all the way if you want to setup a few cameras with BI.

CPU useage will be the big problem. Mine was running at over 40% with just 2 cameras in my server so I ended up setting up a separate box just for the BI.

BI works very well when set up as service as it will just startup on boot and keep going. The other important thing is to use direct-to-disk encoding which will reduce CPU usage significantly.

You will not need a great deal of disk space unless you want to keep the recordings for a long time. Set to say 3 months and with alert recording only then I am using about 20 GB on a Hard Disk and the system has been on continuously for over a year.

Thanks for all the info. I am running a Intel Core I-5 2500 with 16GB of RAM. I think I will just continue to run the blue Iris software on the other PC and not muddy things up with additional programs on the server. I appreciate the help and info especially the blue iris specific info. I am still new to Blue Iris and just getting started on how to really get the most out of the software. 

Not used this BI software but maybe test it on a VM on the server just to see how it runs, if its crap bin the VM and keep it on metal, if its ok then you're not going to screw up your main OS install on the server?

I recommend you check out XProtect from Milestone Software. The free version supports up to 8 cameras. I first tried blue iris but found XProtect much better.

Skickat från min LG-D855 via Tapatalk