RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Issues with VM status after powering down host

Homer-S

Hello,

My VMs were moved to a raid 10 . Since this time I  am always faced with issues for my VMs. The hyper-V Manager shows as a status "Saved" but is not starting the machine. The error message tells something about "can not start VM due to memory error at XXXXX" (next time I will do a screen shot)

I tried a lot even a backup of the VM files brought no success. At the end I tried delete status in hyper-v manager This helped to start it again.

But it is not helping fighting the root cause.

I checked already in MegaRaid App (for the LSI controller) if I really choose write through as write option. Which is the case.

Do I made some mistake in my settings for the raid?

The controller is not equipped with a BBU.

Screen%20Shot%2007-30-15%20at%2003.09%20

Thanks

it was done with a veeam backup of the complete drive. After the move no issues but they appeared after powering down at night.

Was this a "dirty" or clean shut down?  Dynamic or fixed memory?  I have seen this a couple of times with Hyper-V where a VM will shut down but still hold on to the memory allocation for a short period of time.

Normally it should be a clean shut down, because it is initiated by lights out. And to power down is the only power mode our MB is able to do.

Before changing to the raid it was running for Month like a charm.

This is the error text:

Screen%20Shot%2007-30-15%20at%2005.11%20

Edited by Homer-S

Have you tried running a memory test on the host ... just in case?

That, and have you tried running a chkdsk pass of the VM storage volume?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, thanks for your suggestions.

I found the issue. There must have been an update for integrated service which was note done automatically to my VMs. After checking it and forceing it by hand they are powering down like before.