RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
jcollison

Installing the WHS2011 Connector on Win10 - If you have issues

jcollison

I have not tested this in every situation but during the show I had issues installing the connector for 2011 on a Windows 10 box.  I then installed the new hot fix for 2012 which includes the connector and uninstalled it.  The did the install again for 2011 and it worked.  Again, only tested once, but worth a shot.

Manually download the connector  

For x64 bit Windows 10 Client download it from here.  

For x86 bit Windows 10 Client download it form here. 

• Like 2

jmwills

Thanks for the links Jim.

librarian09

I am getting the message that my 2011 WHS is offline when I attempt to log in from the Launchpad in windows 10.  I get the same error message when I run the Launchpad as an administrator.  I have tried reinstalling the launch pad, and it will connect but after a restart it will not reconnect. 

What error message or connection problems were you receiving when you applied this fix?  Thank you for any information which you might be able to provide.

awraynor

I'm having a funny problem on my notebook running Win10 Tech Preview. Whenever it updates it messes up my previously working

launchpad. It will then be blank as you see in the attached picture. I uninstall and reinstall and it then works fine. 

Screenshot (8).jpg

Sorta Oldguy

Jim: still have not migrated anything but am running Win10 in a VM. Decided to try it with WHS2011 and had trouble like everyone elso.  You refer to  "the new hot fix for 2012" but I'm drawing a blank on that. Link please? Thanks.

james09

Jim,

I tried your approach, and it did not work for me.  I installed the connector you recommended with your links and then uninstalled it.  I then connected in the standard way.  When I shut down, I lost the connection.

Thank you for the suggestion.  I appreciate your taking the time to share it.  If something else comes up, please do not hesitate to share.

RottenMutt

I'm having a funny problem on my notebook running Win10 Tech Preview. Whenever it updates it messes up my previously working

launchpad. It will then be blank as you see in the attached picture. I uninstall and reinstall and it then works fine. 

Same here on build 10532, worked on the released copy.

please submit feedback using "windows feedback" in your all apps, search for whs2011 and up vote the problem.

Edited by RottenMutt

james09

I am getting the message that my 2011 WHS is offline when I attempt to log in from the Launchpad in windows 10.  I get the same error message when I run the Launchpad as an administrator.  I have tried reinstalling the launch pad, and it will connect but after a restart it will not reconnect. 

What error message or connection problems were you receiving when you applied this fix?  Thank you for any information which you might be able to provide.

I have recently find a rather quick work around to this problem.  It does not solve it, but it is easier than installing and reinstalling the launchpad and controller.  I found it at the following URL.

https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/5bc007b5-445f-4961-9274-b8a43dce6706/can-not-sign-in-to-whs2011-after-upgrading-to-windows-10?forum=whs2011   For me, this has worked one time, and I am hoping it will work for most of you and continue to work for me :-)

Essentially it indicates that going to Control panel>administrative tools>services and starting up Windows Server Initialization Services (even though it indicates it starts automatically) will solve the problem.  At least, it seems to have solved it for me.  Some people have indicated that they have to start up all of the following: Windows Server Initialization Service, Windows Server Client Computer Backup Provider Service, and/or Windows Server Health Service, but just starting up the Windows Server Initialization Service seems to work for me.  Note: you must be in the administrator log in for this solution to work.  I was not able to restart the Initialization Service under my standard sign in.  

It would appear that the code is missing that should internalize the startup, and it just appears to be started.   I was too chicken to mess with the XML code as suggest be another person in this 

CanadianPilgrim

I had the same issue. Turned out some of the RDP services were set to manual. I turned them on and set them to automatic. Voila.

james09

I had the same issue. Turned out some of the RDP services were set to manual. I turned them on and set them to automatic. Voila.

CanadianPilgrim

Thank you for your post.  This solution worked for me.  Since it was the client computer which was updated to Win10, I never even gave a thought to the problem being with the server.  In fact, I spent a long time looking for the RDP services on the client computer.  

Voila, I really appreciated your post.  I would have not found the solution without you.  And if possible in the future, please provide a little more direction for someone like me.  I am just not nearly as knowledgeable as the others of you using this forum. 

Again thank you and I really appreciate your taking the time to post this information.

Jim

PS  I would also like to thank RottenMutt for telling me about Windows Feedback under all apps and  jmwills for all of his great assistance over the years.