RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

N54L P410 questions

mattwilkins

Hi all,

I've been browsing around here looking for RAID card solutions for my N54L and I think I've settled on the P410. I've found a lot of useful information on this site already but had a couple of specific questions that I wanted to ask, hop you don't mind!

I want to use 4x3TB hard drives in RAID 10, giving me a 6TB array.

- Do I need any specific HDDs with TLER support or something, or can I just use regular ones? (I was planning on Toshiba DT01ACA300, reading up it looks like they have CCTL support which I gather is similar to TLER)

- Will I need to do the firmware update on the P410 and is it a simple process on linux? If not can I easily do the update on my Windows PC instead?

Finally I've been looking on eBay for P410 and found this. Wanted to ask if that is what I need or if I'm looking for something else.

- It doesn't look like it has a memory module installed, but says it has 256MB?

- Is there an easy way to get hold of a low profile bracket or should I find a card with one already installed?

- Can I use the battery module with RAID10? I've only seen mentions of it with RAID5 and 6 but assumed it would be fine and useful in RAID10 too.

Thanks for your help,

Matt

Edit: Forgot eBay link

I'm guessing this is a better option? 512 MB  and a LP bracket?

Edited by mattwilkins

With a RAID controller you should use NAS drives. TLER or CCTL are features of a NAS drive.

Firmware can be updated in Linux or with the SPP disk.

The only drawback on a P410 is SATA drives only run at 3Gb/s SATA II.

You will need a low profile bracket so the second link is a better choice.

Here is a thread on replacing batteries:

http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/8778-how-long-does-the-battery-for-hp-smart-array-controller-last/

I want to use 4x3TB hard drives in RAID 10, giving me a 6TB array.

- Do I need any specific HDDs with TLER support or something, or can I just use regular ones? (I was planning on Toshiba DT01ACA300, reading up it looks like they have CCTL support which I gather is similar to TLER)

- Will I need to do the firmware update on the P410 and is it a simple process on linux? If not can I easily do the update on my Windows PC instead?

Finally I've been looking on eBay for P410 and found this. Wanted to ask if that is what I need or if I'm looking for something else.

- It doesn't look like it has a memory module installed, but says it has 256MB?

- Is there an easy way to get hold of a low profile bracket or should I find a card with one already installed?

- Can I use the battery module with RAID10? I've only seen mentions of it with RAID5 and 6 but assumed it would be fine and useful in RAID10 too.

I've gone through 2 raid cards over the last 3 weeks (long story, ask me over a beer again) but both came with a LP bracket. So if you buy a new one, you should get one with it.

As for drives, I am using WD RED drives.

The battery is only required to prevent cache loss in case of a power outage. IIRC not required for a raid 10, only when stripping to Raid 5.