RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Fedora Server on Microserver Gen8

johnnyspice

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to install fedora on my Microserver but running into a few issues. I was wondering if anyone else has installed fedora on a Microserver with the b120i array enabled?

I've launched the installer with ahi blacklisted and inst.dd

The menus allows me to select the hpvsa driver which I do

During the fedora install, there are 3 drives displayed when there should be only 2 (1 ssd boot drive and 2 sata drives in a raid 0 config).

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Kind regards,

John

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• schoondoggy

• snapper

• Royco

• johnnyspice

Hi schoondoggy,

I configured the ssd to be a bootable raid0, with the 2 hdds to be a single raid0 drive.

In an interesting twist, I've just tried to install centos7, thinking there might be kernel issues with the hpvsa driver.

Unfortunately, the centOS installation does the exact same thing. I'm stumped.

If i type Linux dd blacklist=ahci I see all the drives in the install.

If I type linux modprobe.blacklist=ahci inst.dd then I do not see any drives at all.

I've noticed that in most of the guides it tells you to rename the .dd hpvsa driver to .img but in both fedora and centOS the driver selection is looking for an ISO. Renaming them to ISO seems to work and it extracts them ok, but for some reason I can't seem to select my drives as configured.

Any help would be appreciated.

Kind regards,

John

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Centos 6 & 7 work fine in AHCI mode and mdadm software raid.

I don't use onboard raid because if the machine itself dies, you need to find another HP using the b120i to be able to get your data back.

i.e. using b120i ties you to a few models of HP hardware.

with ahci/mdadm, you can plug the disks into any hardware running linux mdadm to get at your data...

Edited by snapper

i had fan of about 13-15% using wd red 3tb and centos 6.5 when using the latest firmware.

if you are still at install stage, try it an see how it works on your hardware combination - just a basic centos install will do - you don't need to install mdadm for this test.

Centos 6 & 7 work fine in AHCI mode and mdadm software raid.

I don't use onboard raid because if the machine itself dies, you need to find another HP using the b120i to be able to get your data back.

i.e. using b120i ties you to a few models of HP hardware.

with ahci/mdadm, you can plug the disks into any hardware running linux mdadm to get at your data...

B120i RAID sets can be mounted on most HP Smart Array RAID cards.

Out of curiosity I tried the rhel7.1 driver. After loading the driver and selecting continue I just get a black screen as though I'm waiting for the install screen to appear.

Unless I can get this working I think I'll have to go down the software raid route as snapper suggested. I'm not sure what else I can try.

Could it be that I've set the raid up correctly in the hp setup? It's showing how i would assume it to be, with the ssd being one array which is bootable and my 2 3tb drives as a second logical drive in raid0 also.

Kind regards,

John

If you are loading the OS on the SSD, have you tried removing the two other drives and configuring them after you get the OS loaded on the SSD?

I haven't tried this although I will tomorrow (it's pretty late now).

I guess the only complication is that having only one array for the ssd present and blacklisting ahci may still result in no drives being shown.

I'll give it a go and report back.

Thanks for bearing with me.

John