RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Dave

What printers are you guys using?

Drashna Jaelre

Cannon, HP, Epson inkjets all seem to work pretty well and are not to dear and after a year you have spent more on ink than what you paid for the printer.  I have tried generic refills but that usually ends up clogging the jets so back to the expensive refills. :rolleyes:

Don't do enough printing these days to justify a laser.

Assuming the reservoirs don't' have sensors that prevent you from refilling them.......

And yeah, inkjets .... it's better to buy a cheap one, and junk it after the ink runs out. The new cartridges are more expensive than the cheap printers.

revengineer

I use a Brother laser printer. These are easy to refill with $5 toner from eBay.

Dave

HP1012 Laser that is quickly approaching 15 years old.

I had an HP 1000 LaserJet and they wouldn't upgrade the driver to Windows 7!  It was a great printer.  

I am looking for a really good, small photo printer.

I was thinking about one of these as well but most look to be only 4x6. I would love a 5x7 option. 

This forum software has never run well with IE. I've been using Chrome for a few years so I don't see it often.  I'll use Edge when I can use LastPass with it.  Ok, back to printers.

This is a good thread but, I still don't know what to purchase!  I have to get something for our family soon.  I did try a "cat shot" on the printer in question.  That's old carrier navy talk for bounce it off the floor and see if it works after that.  (simulate a catapult launch of the aircraft) No go on the cat shot.

This is almost like Ford vs. Chevy.  Everyone has a favorite, every printer has it's issues.  My biggest question to myself is whether to spend extra cash on a "Pro" type line or just go with the $99 multi?  I'm having a hard time going with a new Canon. HP was in my thoughts and hopefully the Windows 10 as a service will keep it in drivers for a few years.  

I almost want to go with a Color Laser Multi function and have a photo printer on the side. 5x7 hopefully.  ;)

cskenney

You can print a lot of photos at the local Walgreens (or name your 1 hour photo shop) for the price of a printer.  On the other hand, we tend to be a NOW society and when we want a color photo it isn't 1 hour (and a 15 minute drive) to get it.

jmwills

I had an HP 1000 LaserJet and they wouldn't upgrade the driver to Windows 7!  It was a great printer.  

I initially had trouble with Windows 8 but the old beast prints with 7 and 10.  No issues.  So this is a printer that migrated from XP>Vista>7>8>8.1>10.  I cannot justify getting rid of it.

itGeeks

I initially had trouble with Windows 8 but the old beast prints with 7 and 10.  No issues.  So this is a printer that migrated from XP>Vista>7>8>8.1>10.  I cannot justify getting rid of it.

WOW talk about digging up an old friend, I had one of those HP 1000 and yes it was a great printer till I did an OS upgrade and there was no driver support, I could not remember when till you posted about Windows 7. I believe the was the timeline for me getting rid of it. This is y I would never purchase another HP printer because I ended up with a boat anchor shortly after I purchased it. Never had this happen with Epson printers but maybe its just luck at this point.

itGeeks

I was thinking about one of these as well but most look to be only 4x6. I would love a 5x7 option. 

This forum software has never run well with IE. I've been using Chrome for a few years so I don't see it often.  I'll use Edge when I can use LastPass with it.  Ok, back to printers.

This is a good thread but, I still don't know what to purchase!  I have to get something for our family soon.  I did try a "cat shot" on the printer in question.  That's old carrier navy talk for bounce it off the floor and see if it works after that.  (simulate a catapult launch of the aircraft) No go on the cat shot.

This is almost like Ford vs. Chevy.  Everyone has a favorite, every printer has it's issues.  My biggest question to myself is whether to spend extra cash on a "Pro" type line or just go with the $99 multi?  I'm having a hard time going with a new Canon. HP was in my thoughts and hopefully the Windows 10 as a service will keep it in drivers for a few years.  

I almost want to go with a Color Laser Multi function and have a photo printer on the side. 5x7 hopefully. 

Dave I do believe your best bet would be to get a separate photo printer because of your love for picture taking :) The all-in-ones are great but lets face it, you will never get the quality from an all-in-one that you would get from separate devices. So +1 for any owner of an SLR or is that XLR, hmm cant remember camera owner needs to have a separate dedicated photo printer :D

Edited by itGEEKS

Dave

I have some timely news on this topic.  This WSJ articles talks about Espon creating a printer with tanks. Costs more upfront but for heavy printers it might be an option.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/review-epson-kills-the-printer-ink-cartridge-1438683871

A basic Epson model, the Expression XP-420 all-in-one scanner/printer, lists for $100 sells for as little as $60. Its standard cartridge in replacement, however, costs around $40. Epson’s XL cartridges give you a little break—nearly three times the ink for around $80 a set.

But when searching for XP-420 ink on Amazon, most results are for off-brand competitors selling XL cartridges for a third of Epson’s price, and sometimes even less.

As a parent who doesn’t want to padlock the printer, I turned to off-brand ink. And while I have had one of their cartridges fail, the economics still favors the knock-offs.

Epson’s new move is a sly one. Rather than compete on price, the printer maker is dropping the cartridge issue entirely. When you buy an EcoTank printer—for instance, the ET-2550, which closely resembles Epson’s XP-420—you fill up its four-chambered reservoir with ink from plastic containers included with the printer. There’s a satisfying feeling of dumping all of that ink into the tubs. You then let the printer prime itself and your ink worries are over.

Fast forward two very print-productive years. You and your family have churned out more than 35 black-and-white and 60 color pages every week. Finally, you need more ink. Epson will sell you a whole set of replacement canisters for $52. That same amount of Epson ink, in XL cartridges, would cost more than 10 times as much.

The old model is out the window. Epson’s not trying to make money on ink this time around, because it’s charging you up front for the printer. The ET-2550 costs $400; its big brother, the ET-4550, which has a fax, a sheet feeder and Ethernet, costs $500.

The big one is on Amazon available for pre-order.

http://www.amazon.com/Epson-WorkForce-Wireless-Printer-Scanner/dp/B01122JFSM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1438704039&sr=8-1&keywords=ET-4550

The small end of the line starts at $379  http://www.amazon.com/Epson-Expression-Wireless-Printer-Scanner/dp/B01122JHMG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1438704186&sr=8-3&keywords=ET-2500

There is a nice table in the product page showing all the features of all the models.

Dave

Admin Note:  I cleaned up this thread. Some guys were having trouble with IE posting to the forums. Yes, this forum hates IE. It also seems to hate Edge browser now. So if you have troubles it might be that.  

GotNoTime

This WSJ articles talks about Espon creating a printer with tanks. Costs more upfront but for heavy printers it might be an option.

You've been able to buy conversion kits for Epson inkjet printers to remove the ink cartridges and fit ink tanks instead for years now. The print head is part of the printer so the cartridge is just a big container of ink. The problem is that if you've got a low print volume then your chances of geting a clogged print head are high and repairing that is very expensive.

I'm using a Dell 3330DN that was free. Dell sold them with a 100% rebate a while back because of impending regulations regarding power saving which those printers would have failed. It is a big printer though but has ethernet and a duplexer. I actually bought 2 of them with the second one purely there for the toner cartridge + spares.

Edited by GotNoTime