RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Dave

What printers are you guys using?

oj88

Appreciate the insight. I only have the Canon to compare my Epsons with (both were old Photo models) and the former can get unused for months and prinouts still comes out perfect. Granted that the Canon have the printheads on the ink cartridges, which incidentally gets thrown out when the ink runs out. Though that's probably irrelevant but suffice to say, the nozzles doesn't seem to dry out as much. In other words, I've only had to use the printhead clean cycle on the Canon once or twice in its lifetime. On the Epson, I had to do it almost everytime I need to use it.

Improvements in printhead design on the newer models may have allevited some of the previous generations' problems, but I'd still stay away from Epson printers if it's going to be used at home (non-frequent operation)... And don't get me started on Epson projectors! ;)

up7500

Had a Lexmark color laser printer that after 2 years comes up with a fuser error and it is cheaper to buy a new printer than to replace the fuser.  After the second one decided to try something different.  Now have a Brother color laser and it is doing good so far.  Got the Brother MFC color laser cheap when one of the local Office Max was going out of business.  Have not had time or a place to set it up and try it with moving into our new house.

axoid

I using a 7 year old HP Color Laser that I payed $300 new. It's been rock solid. It printed pictures just fine, but I always has to brighten the picture 30% in Photoshop before I printed. I believe it was a calibration issue, but I could never calibrate it because up until recently I had it networked through my EX490 and HP didn't have full software for for this laser for any version of Server. I got it to work on the server with a bare driver install, but that didn't include the software to calibrate it, and I wasn't able calibrate it from networked clients ether.

The OS on the EX490 eat itself a couple months ago, so I'm going to connect the laser to a workstation, but I haven't done that yet.

cskenney

I feel like I am late to the party....

I have an Epson Workforce 845 color all in one that sits in my home office.  It is network for my home and I connect to it with a USB cable so I can print from my work laptop (laptop is on a VPN to work).  I have not had a problem with this printer at all and we have owned it couple years now.  We occasionally print a few photos with it and they are "sufficient".

We also have a networked Brother laser printer.  This printer was a real workhorse when my wife was working on her masters program and all of her text books were electronic.  She would print hundreds of pages from PDF text books so she could go through an highlight the important stuff.  We needed a fast laser printer that could print a large number of pages per minute and the Brother laser printer worked great (and still does).

We recently gave away an HP Photosmart color inkjet printer.  It still worked fine but we just don't print much any more and it was just collecting dust.  It did make nice photos because it had the additional color cartridges (7 in total).  It was expensive when you had to purchase those cartridges too.

Helzy

Gist of my post was the latest version of Canon imageRUNNERS are bullet - proof. 3 x 7260 and 1 x 5235 plus a 36" imageprograf here and since installed in a high volume business 18 months ago we've had to make 1 service call call for a full waste toner bottle. Have dealt with xerox, ricoh, Konica-Minolta and HP products over the years and never ever experienced the reliability we are currently seeing with these Canon devices. Whether or not this extends to desktop MFP devices ala the Pixma lines etc. I cannot say. Only HP has ever come close especially with the laserjet 2 lines but these were always subject to paper sensor issues and jams just like any other brand. I only recently retired a laserjet 4l as well, lasted more than 15 years at home for sure.

cskenney

Most of us probably can't afford a Canon imageRUNNER in our home (just guessing).

kylejwx

The art teacher at my school just got a

HP Officejet Pro X476dw Multifunction Printer. HP lists it for $700, but usually you can find it for $350 or less. I have not set it up, but I am hopeful it will be good. It is an ink jet that advertises cheaper and faster printing than a color laser.

Helzy

Most of us probably can't afford a Canon imageRUNNER in our home (just guessing).

I'm well aware of that. I was speaking to the reliabiity I have seen of recent Canon products, and wondering whether or not it extends to the pixma / home mfp line.

The art teacher at my school just got a

HP Officejet Pro X476dw Multifunction Printer. HP lists it for $700, but usually you can find it for $350 or less. I have not set it up, but I am hopeful it will be good. It is an ink jet that advertises cheaper and faster printing than a color laser.

HP has a new solid print head they are using in consumer units that they have demonstrated doing ink jet prints at 120 ppm. Pretty much limited by the paper path and the ability to pass paper under the head quickly.

Joe_Miner

Late to this topic but FWIW:

I have an HP Officejet 6000 Wireless -- works well on my network -- I had upgraded to this when Lexmark didn't/wouldn't release drivers for Win8 for my previous printer

For printing on photo quality paper I have an old Canon i960 PhotoPrinter and for scanning I have a flatbed Canoscan 8600F -- both from early Win7 days

Poppapete

Cannon, HP, Epson inkjets all seem to work pretty well and are not to dear and after a year you have spent more on ink than what you paid for the printer.  I have tried generic refills but that usually ends up clogging the jets so back to the expensive refills. :rolleyes:

Don't do enough printing these days to justify a laser.

• Like 1