RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

ESXi 5.5 slow disk performance on B120i controller

Jonkheer

Thank you for your answers.

I do not think that they are on a high load.

The strange thing I experienced is that somethings it seems to lock my vm's, they freeze for a moment.

Would a WD RE disk give more performance or is it better to purchase a P222 controller?

The strange thing I experienced is that somethings it seems to lock my vm's, they freeze for a moment.

What does it say in your vmkernel log? Are there lots of SATA bus resets? Edited by GotNoTime

How can I see this?

You need to enable SSH and log into the ESXi host to view it. The logs are in /var/log

I made a printscreen of performance events of ESXi.

Does not look that positive.

The actual messages are just for information and you'll see them appearing on fully working storage arrays when under heavy load. Your ones seem to be exceptionally high though so something is odd somewhere. What does the disk graph look like for the host in the vSphere client?

The B120i is the Intel SATA controller built into the C204 chipset so the CPU is actually doing it all. It just has a HP firmware + driver to make it pretend to be a Smart Array card. The driver does do read caching if you have > 2GB RAM installed into the Microserver. HP also offer 512MB FBWC module for the B120i that also enables RAID5 but the necessary slot for it doesn't exist in the Microserver Gen8.

ChEeSyBoOfS found that there were significant issues with the B120i under heavy load. This might be a similar situation with the poor performance. I've gotten full speed on a SSD on the B120i but only with a very low queue depth. I've never tested it with a significant load.

Considering the long running issues with the Linux/ESXi drivers for the B120i that require downgrading, I get the feeling that nobody is really taking care of the B120i at HP and they don't expect you to use it for any serious work. They'll want you to fit the P222 Smart Array card for anything like that. I get good performance in ESXi 6.0 with a P222 and 4x WD Red drives.

I get excellent performance with a P222 and 4x WD Red drives as well.  The RAID CPU and the cache make quite a difference.

The B120i is fine for RAID1 or RAID10 on a light load, such as a single physical server, or perhaps a Windows server running a single light-duty HyperV VM.  The moment a database enters the picture, or more than a single VM, it's not up to the task.

I only use my B120i for my two SSDs in RAID0.  For that, it's fine, but that's just to boot the primary OS.  All other drives are on my P222, and that's where the data is held.

• Like 1