RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

ESXi 5.5 slow disk performance on B120i controller

Jonkheer

Hello,

I bought a Gen8 and installed 2x 2TB WD RED, Xeon 1265Lv2 and 2x 8GB ECC Kingston mem.

I used the latest ISO to install ESXi 5.5: VMWare-ESXi-5.5.0-Update2-2403361-HP-550.9.2.27-Mar2015.

After that I updated ESXi 5.5 to build 2718055.

The disks are configured as RAID 1 on the B120i controller.

The performance of the disks is slow and not consistent.

At the moment there are 5 VM's active on the server.

I have read the topics about the scsi-hpvsa driver.

I have looked at what is installed with the command: esxcli software vib list

Here I see that the sccsi-hpvsa version is 5.5.0-88OEM.550.0.0.1331820

Can the driver still be the bad guy?

Edited by Jonkheer

Have you looked into the controller's reports to see if any disk errors are being reported?

I don't have that particular controller but there should be a section for alerts, etc.

• 3 weeks later...

Under the weight of 5 VMs, using WD Red drives (which are good drives but not fast drives), I wouldn't expect I/O performance to be all that great with the B120i.  It's a basic, non-caching RAID controller; the CPU does most of the work.

Under the weight of 5 VMs, using WD Red drives (which are good drives but not fast drives), I wouldn't expect I/O performance to be all that great with the B120i. It's a basic, non-caching RAID controller; the CPU does most of the work.

The B120i is the Intel SATA controller built into the C204 chipset so the CPU is actually doing it all. It just has a HP firmware + driver to make it pretend to be a Smart Array card. The driver does do read caching if you have > 2GB RAM installed into the Microserver. HP also offer 512MB FBWC module for the B120i that also enables RAID5 but the necessary slot for it doesn't exist in the Microserver Gen8.

ChEeSyBoOfS found that there were significant issues with the B120i under heavy load. This might be a similar situation with the poor performance. I've gotten full speed on a SSD on the B120i but only with a very low queue depth. I've never tested it with a significant load.

Considering the long running issues with the Linux/ESXi drivers for the B120i that require downgrading, I get the feeling that nobody is really taking care of the B120i at HP and they don't expect you to use it for any serious work. They'll want you to fit the P222 Smart Array card for anything like that. I get good performance in ESXi 6.0 with a P222 and 4x WD Red drives.

Edited by GotNoTime