RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

ESXi 6.0 upgrade stuck at 6%

canuckcam

I'm upgrading from ESXi 5.5 U2 to the 6.0.0 HP June 2015 ISO image. I've made my USB boot media and the initial confirmation screens all work fine, but on the actual install, the progress bar stops at 6% - after an hour, I bit the bullet and rebooted. Thankfully, 5.5 U2 and all my VMs came up just fine.

Anyone have an idea of what the hangup is about, and how I could get around that? I don't know if there are install logs to pull either to look at what stalled the process.

E3-1220L, 10GB RAM, ESXi on a 4GB USB key on the internal USB connector.

I'd take another USB drive and install ESXi 6.0.0 from a scratch. Will be easier I think. Ive installed 6.0.0, HP image too. 15 min and you're done. This won't affect your VM, and you will be able to import them easily.

Just use another drive, so you can boot from older one, if something goes wrong. 

I ended up doing just that... and now I'm at another problem...! 

Sophos UTM 9.3 runs fine, BUT Windows Server 2012 freezes after about 3 minutes of bootup of the VM image. It's locked up so tight that even the Power On/Off, Suspend, Reset.. they're all greyed out. I've tried killing the process in the CLI, but it still persists... ugh. I'm on the 4th reboot of the entire server now... but getting tired and need sleep! 

• 3 weeks later...

i've had these freeze issues on 1 of my 2 micro gen 8 servers, ended up swapping out ram, drives etc. Both machines on the same firmware versions.

when i used the HP 5.5 U2 Nov 2015 Image everything worked on the 2nd machine that freezed on me.

was there any conclusion?