RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

30TB - using multiple HDD's in different areas - which array?

frysie

As per the picture below.

30TB of storage in multiple areas.

I am thinking of the following

ssd (TOP) for OS

4x bay in the gen 8 - runs of the p222 internal port (array)

3x slims (using schoondoggy) running off the mobo chipset (array)

4x bay in the n54l (using the P222 external port)

Can you fit two hdd's in the top?

I have a picopsu 160w i will be replacing the stock psu, so i should get a bit more power out of her to power the extra drives.

what should i do ? which raid arrays ? looking for redundancy as hdd's fail normally :P

a39GGa1.png

Edited by frysie

30TB?

4x6TB gets you 24TB total with no-redundancy in microserver(G7 or G8).

8x6TB gets you 48TB with no redundancy or 36 with RAID6. 

Get a RAID controller, one internal port, one external, connect G7 cage and you're good to go. 

You probaly need two PSU's to run 8HDD. I believe there's a way to trigger 2nd PSU when system starts.

In that case you will have a nice redundancy(RAID 6). With 5Tb drives you get 30TB exacltly as you asked. 

And you still have Mini-SAS connector unused: you can plug one SSD in ODD SATA or use a 8087-4SATA and plug two SSDs or more. You can put them on top, or use a schoondoggy bracket.

Personally I would not run a different HDDs in RAID. 

And second: any redundancy will reduce usable data. 

RAID:      4 drives    8drives:

RAID1     2 drives    4 drives - half of space used.

RAID5     3 drives    7 drives - one drive for parity.

RAID6     2 drives    6 drives - two drives for parity.

can you see my picture above?

6TB using schoondoggy (3x 2tb drives)

12TB using the 4x bay enclosure

12TB using the n54L

250GB SSD (optical drive)

UPS... which i need to figure out how to make a safe shutdown to power off both the n54l and gen 8

Edited by frysie

Ok, do you want some redundancy or no? Are you looking to get 30Tb data with redundancy or this is what you gonna deal with(it will result in 20Tb of data in the end).

Lets do the math:

P222 and 8x3TB drives. Thats 24Tb without redundancy, 21T with RAID5 and 18T with RAID6. 

3x2 TB slim equal to 6TB without any redundancy or 4TB with RAID 5. You cannot run RAID6 on this, at least there's no reson.

You can get 30Tb but no redundant drives, means if one drive goes down - you lose your data. You might lose either 3Tb of data or all of it. 

Nice idea? Not really. 

RAID 5 is good, and typically will protect you if one drive goes down. But then you need to rebuild all the array and if there is some read error...  you'll have some problems ;) And this works only for 21T of data, mean you gotta do something with the 2.5" drives. 

RAID 6 is good, considering that situation when two drives from array fails not that uncommon. But this gets you 18TB of space and you will have 6T without any protection. 

You can run raidZ5/6 on all of those drives and this gonna help you. But you will definitely lose some space, and get less then 30Tb. And this is soft-RAID.  I'm not really familiar with it, but math is pretty much the same: ~26-27Tb with RAIDZ5, and less then 25T for RAIDZ6. 

I'm in pretty much the same situation, but I  need less then 30Tb of data. Even less then 10Tb. I'm debating between 2x6T + 2x3T, each in RAID1, or run 4x4Tb in RAID6. I got ideas about getting 8 drives and connecting two microservers, but this gets me more problems, and I can get what I need with  4 drives easily. I might go with 8drive system, but this is abit too much for me, and I need to sell some microservers I already have.

• Like 1

You need to look at designing at least a 3-2-1 backup strategy. RAID provides resiliency but it's not a backup.

I'd also suggest looking at Stablebit DrivePool. Psykix and other's have implemented DrivePool on their Gen8's.

As for RAID: the two sets of 4 attached to the P222 you may want to go RAID10 for the greatest resiliency.

B120i => you could get 3 9mm drives on the SDM and another in the ODD bay area giving you 4 drives for a RAID10 (or a couple of RAID1's or 4 RAID0's) and another 7mm drive in the ODD (would be tight) for a RAID0 OS drive or you could Velcro/tape the 7mm drive on the side above the RAM.

Just some additional ideas but whatever you do you need a 3-2-1 backup strategy for your important data. http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/4551-how-do-you-back-up-your-hp-microserver/page-3#entry49671

RAID 10 gives 50% of space, and you might lose your data if two drives dies. You might lose all the data with bad luck and two faulty drives.

RAID 6 survies without two drives and you get 75% of your space with 8 drives.

are you suggesting to drivepool

the 3x2TB (hdds on schoondoggys) and the 4x 3TB in the gen 8  = 18TB

mirror the 18TB using an external box (icydock / n54l) using robocopy. and keeping another copy on external hdd's

that would be 3-2-1 , if im not mistaken ?

Assuming you rotated the backups on the external HDD's off-site.

The advantage of DrivePool and the main reasons I used it in my main server are (1) I can add different sized HDD's to the Pool over time (2) in the event of a catastrophic disaster data can still be read off of any surviving HDD on any available Windows Machine (3) using StableBit Scanner in conjunction with DrivePool constantly checks the integrity of the HDD's and warns me if they are failing before they fail (This really saved my bacon when I had multiple ST3000DM001's fail in a short period of time -- I didn't lose any data and didn't have to resort to recovery from backup drives). 

I'd suggest stepping back and thinking about: How much storage do you need for everything you want/need to do?  What level of resiliency do you want especially for non-critical data? 

How much is Critical Data that needs 3-2-1?

What is your off-site storage plan?