RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

RAID for System Drive

Glavian

Hello all. I'm new the Home Server Show forums, but I've been a user of WHS for the past two years. When I first built my server, I wanted to have the System drive to be a RAID Mirror Array of two 160GB SATA Drives. I had it configured correctly on my RAID card, but I couldn't get WHS to install correctly. Has any one had any luck in doing this? Or does anyone know if this will be supported in Vail?

Thanks!!

As far I know, running Raid on your system drive is "unsupported" in WHS (officially anyways).

I think this has consistently been one of the most requested features and is (unless my memory is failing me horribly) expected to be supported in Vail.

As far I know, running Raid on your system drive is "unsupported" in WHS (officially anyways).

I think this has consistently been one of the most requested features and is (unless my memory is failing me horribly) expected to be supported in Vail.

Thanks for that!! I'm hoping RAID is supported in Vail as I'd feel much better if my system drive was Fault Tolerant.

I agree a redundant raid would be nice for the system disk in WHS V1. But, for VAIL, we will be able to remove the system disk from the pool. That should enable us to use either a tool from Microsoft or a program like Acronis, to do full backups of the system Drive. That is what I am hoping for Anyways, since I would like to put Vail on an SSD or a 10K rpm HD

Was that not backup of the system? not raid support/duplication(software raid/fault tolerance).