Jump to content
RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
TechNut

HP Gen8 Microserver - Getting started

Recommended Posts

dittohead

Bought gen8 few weeks ago, install esxi, but can't plug hard drive into VM. What I shoud to buy next: new CPU with vt-d support or HDD controller like LSI 9211/hp p410/p222 or similar?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
schoondoggy
4 minutes ago, dittohead said:

Bought gen8 few weeks ago, install esxi, but can't plug hard drive into VM. What I shoud to buy next: new CPU with vt-d support or HDD controller like LSI 9211/hp p410/p222 or similar?

 

What is your current hardware configuration? Are you using B120i or AHCI? What version of ESXi are you running? Was it installed from the HP ISO? What is running in the VM? What did you try to 'plug hard drive into VM"?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dittohead

celeron g1610, 8gb ram (yet, will upgrade to 16) , using b120. ESXI 6.5+hp driver 5.5

Running vm: FreeNAS, win server.

 

Quote

What did you try to 'plug hard drive into VM"?

When I try to connect HDD to VM, I can only connect ESXI datastorage only

Edited by dittohead

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
schoondoggy
celeron g1610, 8gb ram (yet, will upgrade to 16) , using b120. ESXI 6.5+hp driver 5.5
Running vm: FreeNAS, win server.
 
What did you try to 'plug hard drive into VM"?
When I try to connect HDD to VM, I can only connect ESXI datastorage only
With FreeNAS running in a VM I have found it best to passthrough the storage controller to the FreeNAS VM. An LSI based controller running as an HBA works well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dittohead
16 hours ago, schoondoggy said:

With FreeNAS running in a VM I have found it best to passthrough the storage controller to the FreeNAS VM. An LSI based controller running as an HBA works well.

So question is with controller better? LSI (which one? 9211?), hp 410/420, hp p222?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
schoondoggy
So question is with controller better? LSI (which one? 9211?), hp 410/420, hp p222?
The HP P410-P420-P222 are RAID controllers and they would not be good choices. Choose any LSI based controller that supports JBOD or IT mode. Here is a list detailing the options: https://www.broadcom.com/support/knowledgebase/1211161496893/megaraid-3ware-and-hba-support-for-various-raid-levels-and-jbod-

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dittohead
1 hour ago, schoondoggy said:

The HP P410-P420-P222 are RAID controllers and they would not be good choices. Choose any LSI based controller that supports JBOD or IT mode. Here is a list detailing the options: https://www.broadcom.com/support/knowledgebase/1211161496893/megaraid-3ware-and-hba-support-for-various-raid-levels-and-jbod-

Thinx a lot!

And what about VT-d support? Should update to CPU, which support it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
schoondoggy
Thinx a lot!
And what about VT-d support? Should update to CPU, which support it?
I believe VT-d is required for pass pcie through.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Similar Content

    • Sokoban
      By Sokoban
      Hi 
      My HP Proliant Microserver Gen 8 won't install HP Tools when I have running HP Smart Update Manager. 
      even when I have trying to install via Intelligent Provising, Windows Server 2019.
       
      Se image below 🙂 That's I missing.. ;-(
       

    • Karazzi
      By Karazzi
      Hi everyone.
       
      New to this forum.
      I have a gen8 microserver running at home, where I have installed an SSD in the ODD sata slot. On the SSD I have installed Ubuntu Server 18.04.
      I have then created a logical volume witht the raid controller and can then boot to the SSD. So far so good.
      My problem emerges when I reboot the system. The logical volume disapears and it gives the error: "boot logical drive is configured but is missing or offline".
      I then have to go into the utility and reconfigure the logical volume. Kind of annoying, when trying to run a headless setup.
       


×
×
  • Create New...