RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
TechNut

HP Gen8 Microserver - Getting started

MrScorpius

Happy to hear that our videos helped you out! If you have any suggestions for other videos on the HP Gen8 Microserver just let us know :)

I have windows server 2012 R2 standard directly running on the machine, whats the most secure way to map/access a drive remotelly over the internet? What feature do i need to install? I've been reading about it and it seems i will need a VPN. Is that the best way? I'm a complete newbie trying not to mess anything up

A video on that server role would be great. In the future i would also like to expose some web services to the world just for fun, but again, i haven't installed any feature that will expose my server to the internet because i'm concerned with security and don't know the best way to do this.

I'm a junior software developer, love to code and would like to deploy some web applications, web services and databases to this server for personal projects and exploring but network stuff ain't my strength for sure :P

Any recomendation on how to securely architect and setup this?

TechNut

I have windows server 2012 R2 standard directly running on the machine, whats the most secure way to map/access a drive remotelly over the internet? What feature do i need to install? I've been reading about it and it seems i will need a VPN. Is that the best way? I'm a complete newbie trying not to mess anything up

A video on that server role would be great. In the future i would also like to expose some web services to the world just for fun, but again, i haven't installed any feature that will expose my server to the internet because i'm concerned with security and don't know the best way to do this.

I'm a junior software developer, love to code and would like to deploy some web applications, web services and databases to this server for personal projects and exploring but network stuff ain't my strength for sure :P

Any recomendation on how to securely architect and setup this?

For file access only I'd go for SFTP. It's more secure than regular FTP but doesn't require the same amount of work as a VPN solution.

Sure there are very secure VPN solutions out there but without spending money or certificates or two-factor authentication I'd say that both solutions are equally insecure. Since SFTP would only provide access to files instead of your network I'd use that.

SFTP is not a part of Windows server so you'd need 3rd party software.

Sounds like a quick tutorial on IIS might come in handy too ;)

EDIT: We might be able to use FTPS, I'll see what I can find out.

I'll do some investigation and hopefully I can have a video on SFTP/FTPS in a few  days.

Edited by TechNut
  • Like 1

TechNut

Scratch that, no sun in Sweden today so the video is uploaded:

If this wasn't what you we're looking for just let us know and we'll do a tutrial for VPN as well :)

• Like 1

MrScorpius

Scratch that, no sun in Sweden today so the video is uploaded:

If this wasn't what you we're looking for just let us know and we'll do a tutrial for VPN as well :)

Thank you so much! You are great! Just saw the video and will do it tomorrow!

Just a question, at min 5:40 why did you chose the option "No SSL" if later you are going to use it?

oh! And the tutorial for VPN would be much apreciated! :)

If there's anything i can do for you just let me know? you started this channel recently didn't you? i'll be telling my friends about it

TechNut

Just a question, at min 5:40 why did you chose the option "No SSL" if later you are going to use it?

If there's anything i can do for you just let me know? you started this channel recently didn't you? i'll be telling my friends about it

Awesome!

The reason we choose no SSL at that point is that we haden't created any SSL certificates yet. It would have been possible to first create the SSL certificate and then set up the FTP site.

We decided to do it this way because it would be easier to follow if you've already got an FTP site up and running and just want to add SSL, or if you want to skip SSL all together.

I'll start having a look at VPN as well.

Yes the first video was uploaded 3 weeks ago, all support is greatly appreciated :)

Edited by TechNut

TechNut

The video on VPN is now available, it's been a while and I had actually forgotten how simple a basic VPN setup is. Enjoy :-)

E3000

Amazing videos! Very helpful and easy to follow. Thank you ;-)

gremlin

Hi - not sure if you'll pick this up but a quick question for TechNut - I've been through your whole series (epic by the way - many thanks) and am stuck creating a VPN.

I'm getting the message:

ICS is currently enabled on <server name>. To configure RRAS, please disable ICS and try again.

I'm not sure I'm disabling ICS properly and am stuck :-(

Can you offer any suggestions?

I have a Hyper-V server, and virtual file and domain control servers set up as per your videos 1-8

Many thanks in advance :-)

rodpumas

TechNut

How about a video on installing and configuring the four hard drives with RAID, mapping, etc. in MS Gen 8? Your other videos are great!!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

padrekopre

Or maybe another video about installing and configuring ESXi ??