RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Jason

SSL Certificates for Home Use?

Jason

I've been using a GoDaddy SSL Wildcard Certificate for the past 2-3 years for home use.  Primarily because it's recogonized by all iOS devices, etc. on each of my home servers on same domain.

But GoDaddy SSL Wildcard certs are pretty expensive ($299/yr).  I don't want to create a self-signed wildcard cert, but can anyone recommend any other economical options they use?

dataoscar

StartSSL offers free certs. There is also an open source project trying to do the same. https://letsencrypt.org/

Drashna Jaelre

StartSSL offers free certs. There is also an open source project trying to do the same. https://letsencrypt.org/

If it needs the intermediary CA installed, then it's a problem. As doing so would absolutely require a pin or or passcode on your devices. 

It also doesn't support IIS at all, apparently. 

And unfortunately, short of setting up your own CA, and signing against it... (see above for why), there isn't a great solution here. 

Jason

Thanks for the input. Looks like I may need to stick with GoDaddy. Just need to find a promo code for a SSL Wildcard renewal :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dataoscar

Curios because I don't know, why would the intermediate CA need to be installed on devices?

Andne

I don't know about iOSdevices, but the startssl root certificate is installed on windows computers by default.  I generated a certificate from them over a year ago (and renewed it this spring) and have never had issues using it with 2012 Essentials.  I think that domain verification is only good for a a month or so, but I just re-verify each time I need a certificate for a different host name.  They have options for more advanced certificates as well, but those cost money and I haven't really needed any of them.

Easiest way I found to get the certificate loaded is to go through the Dashboard -> Settings -> Anywhere Access -> Domain Name Setup, one of the wizard options is to set up a new certificate.  Let the wizard generate the request, copy/paste that into the startSSL site, the copy/paste the generated certificate back into the wizard.  The basic certificates generate pretty much immediately, so it's pretty quick to do.  There are ways to save it off to another file as well if needed for other programs.

dataoscar

It's good for a year. I tried a website using chrome and safari on my iPhone and both worked.

Jason

I renewed my Godaddy SSL for 1 yr. $299. Primarily for convenience. One cert covers all my needs. I have the routine for updating my SSL down to a science. I'm Prices for SSLs are climbing. I'll definitely be evaluating GoDaddy wildcard SSL alternatives for the next year.

Drashna Jaelre

I renewed my Godaddy SSL for 1 yr. $299. Primarily for convenience. One cert covers all my needs. I have the routine for updating my SSL down to a science. I'm Prices for SSLs are climbing. I'll definitely be evaluating GoDaddy wildcard SSL alternatives for the next year.

I meant to post this sooner but ...

RapidSSL sells certs for pretty cheap usually.  I know that's what eNom uses for their 'SBS' plan (eg WHS/WSE). 

The normal certs are ~$40, and the wildcard certs are around $200.  So, next year, it may be worth checking them out.  Or if you can refund the current order, maybe.

https://www.rapidssl.com/buy-ssl/wildcard-ssl-certificate/index.html?tid=rs_hp_buy

That, or StartSSL appears to be VERY cheap:

http://www.startssl.com/?app=40

• Like 1

Jason

Thanks. I think Godaddy has a 45-day refund on annual products. May refund and try Rapid for $100 less.