RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

SSD RAID0 Sata 5 Booting Centos7 Can't see other drive's

mrforsythexeter

Hi Guys,

Thanks to your awsome forum, I have managed to install an SSD in the OOD bay connected to Sata port 5, set it to boot and using the instructions in the sticky, but using hpvsa-1.2.14-100.rhel7u1.x86_64 instead of hpvsa-1.2.10-120.rhel7u0.x86_64, Got CentOS 7 installed and booting with no problems. So well done and thanks for all your hard work.

However, I'm not sure where I got this idea from, but I understood that drives not configured in the RAID b120 controller, which just appear in the OS as normal drives? Have I got this wrong? I really didn't want to set them up with any HP RAID in the way, can any one help? have I missed something? I would like the system to just see them as normal drives, like AHCI but with a booting SSD?

my iLo storage looks like this...

Capture.PNG

Thank you inadvance of any time you can spare

Capture.PNG

Most Raid controllers require you to configure the drives even if as single Raid0 drives to present to the OS.  I know for a fact with centos which I have used as part of a security camera dvr package at work on my Dells I had to configured 14 single raid 0 drives for the OS to see them correctly.

Thank you for your reply, does this mean that the drives wont be transportable to other OS's. So they will only work on a HP B120i controller?

Thank you again.

Thank you for your reply, does this mean that the drives wont be transportable to other OS's. So they will only work on a HP B120i controller?

Thank you again.

That would be correct, unless you used another B120i controller.  Or at least I've never seen it work.  What are you thinking about doing?

Simply,

I wanted to boot from an SSD and still have all 4 drives available for large disks. The two I have in there now didn't and don't need any raid, the 2nd set will have RAID. using grey hole I wanted to pool the drives, but if one fails, be able to take it out of the machine and repair it in my desktop, or recover anything left on the disk. I am not over worried about losing data on these disks, but will always attempt a repair if possible. Looks like this is out of the window now.

So will end up running the disks, hoping the controller picks up smart, and dealing with it before it becomes a pain in the rear end.

A Logical drive configured on the B120i can be moved to any other HP Smart Array Controllers.  I've moved Logical Drives from the B120i to the P222.

Thank you for info, not great, since not every one has another HP RAID controller laying around, or the money to purchase one when it cost more than the Gen8 itself. But at least I know. Cheers guys.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry I am not being very proactive on this, other things keep comming up which somehow seem easier to sort than the gen 8. If You switch to achi, it was my understanding that you can't boot from the sata drive. Not without messing with cables (connections on the back of the hot swap system), or create a grub boot loader to run off a the memory card slot?

If this is correct and fan issue aside, as I am looking to replace the rear fan with noctua PWM fan (I know about the pin out problem), then could I just drop in a cheap PCI-E Sata 3 card to boot the sata drive and access the other drives via ACHI?

Thanks again for the help.