RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Android tablets anyone?

WireBoy

Is anyone else wondering what is taking so long for Android tablets to come to market?

I would love to have a tablet like the iPad, but think that $500 (minimum) is too much to pay.

I got very excited about that Kmart Augen GenTouch 78 Android tablet for $150 until I started to see the reviews. Very disappointing quality and performance.

The rumors of the Motorola/Verizon Android tablet sound very exciting. Slightly larger screen size than the iPad, front and rear facing cameras, and Android 2.2.

Maybe we'll see the flood gates open this Fall. I've got my fingers crossed... how about you?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• axoid

• ImTheTypeOfGuy

• ikon

• jtone2k8

Yeah, that Augen was a poor demonstration of Android. Google yanked their rights to it's core apps. I would be interested in a 7"-9" Android Tablet if they could get it around the $200-$250 range. But, I don't really need another device. Between my phone and my netbook, my portability needs are met.

What I think we need is Lenovo (or someone else) to bring back the U1 concept. If they replace their linux on the tablet with Android, that would make the ultimate device. Windows 7 in a netbook and a detachable android tablet = WIN. Although, that combo would have to cost $500, the same as an iPad to be a contender.

Here is the U1 if nobody has seen it

http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/05/lenovo-ideapad-u1-hybrid-hands-on-and-impressions/

the new samsung tablet looks interesting may be good enough to compete. I really like the idea of a tablet but at the same time I don't want it locked down by apple I am one to play with it all the time.

• 10 months later...

I have picked up the ASUS TF101 Tramsformer with Android 3.1. It is awsome and i had the 16GB shipped to my house from Tiger Direct for just under $420! Wifi only and it does include a built in remote desktop to a pc while on the same network. I give this guy 2 thumbs up!

I picked up a Nook Color back in December and rooted it and it worked pretty nice, but not as good real Honeycomb tablet. I have since un-root the device when they put out the last major upgrade.

I've been using a Acer Iconia Honeycomb tablet since late April and I love it. Spec wise it good match to the Zoom and the Asus Transformer. But I really love the full size USB port that is build in. They should have the 3.1 upgrade out soon. I payed $450.

I plan to buy one soon but I am torn between the zoom, 10.1, and the transformer.

Several weeks ago I purchased the iPad 2 with Verizon service. I have not had a need to activate the cellular data yet but I am going on vacation and will need it along with other times throughout the year. I like that I can activate for only a month at a time versus the recurring monthly expense.

I am not a fan of Apple products but I must say the iPad is a really nice device and serves the need I was looking for. Not to mention how much my wife and son love to use it as well.

I had planned on getting an Android tablet (I have a Droid X) but I think their tablet market will need another year to mature...IMO it will probably surpass the iPad in the future.

• 2 weeks later...

if you wait a year, you might get achance to see what devices come out on windows 8. i am iterested in seeing the new ui that is going on top of Windows7. if the short demo that was released a few weeks ago is close to the final release then it will seem like a wp7 device supercharged on a tablet that can run any current windows 7 software.

if you wait a year, you might get achance to see what devices come out on windows 8. i am iterested in seeing the new ui that is going on top of Windows7. if the short demo that was released a few weeks ago is close to the final release then it will seem like a wp7 device supercharged on a tablet that can run any current windows 7 software.

That was my plan but my wifes netbook screen broke so now it is tablet time. Which one do I get?

The 10" Samsung is looking pretty good at this point. Funny...my wife's netbook is acting up too. Must be a conspiracy.