RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

My Gen8 Additions/Mods - Fan info with temps

paradox

Just wanted to share my modified Gen8 (still more to do) and show some pics, temperature info and a little how-to for anyone that might want to do similar. I'm using schoondoggy's SGDM-SDMv2 mounting bracket to affix 3x additional drives, which in my case are 3x Samsung M9T 2TB 9.5mm drives.

I've got 4x WD Red 6TB drives in the 4 main stock bays set up in a single RAIDZ1 pool for my Plex server, and will have the second set up as another pool in RAIDZ1 too - hoping to increase those drives to 4x for an additional 8TB~ (minus what RAIDz1 would use for parity) sometime in the future, possibly if /when schoondoggy creates a bracket capable of it (mentioned here).

A few pics of the 3x Samsung M9T 2TB 9.5mm drives on the bracket:
Oo3Eehc.jpg

7bBE0X7.jpg

A couple motherboard shots:
ZwZscjb.jpg

I stuck a Xeon E3-1230 v2 CPU in there and the cooler is one of these: Akasa AK-CC7118HP01 K25 Low Profile Intel Cooler for LGA 775/1156/1155

More info on modding it (just cutting off two opposite legs of the sink) and such can be found here in this thread.

I've stuck a small heatsink/fan as you can see (small red fans) on both the iLO chip and replacing the stock fanless heatsink on the northbridge. Wholly uneccessary, but I like to mod stuff and I wanted to do it.

This is the heatsink/fan combo: Xilence Northbridge/Chipset Heatsink + Fan → Aluminium Cooler Heat sink RAM

To attach it to the iLO chip (which may not need cooling, but I have noticed now with the heatsink attached, the heatsink itself gets quite warm to the touch - also the temperature readings dropped on it quite a bit. I used some semi-permanent Akasa AK-TT12-80 Thermal Adhesive Tape to secure it.

I tried the same on the northbridge, but the chip that sticks up to make contact with the heatsink is tiny compared to the area around it and the thermal tape wasn't adhesive enough, so what I did was take some normal thermal padding and cut it slightly larger than the bottom of the heatsink, just so none of the edges made any contact with the board, then I used a knife and cut out a hole in the middle for the chip to fit into, and then in order to secure it to the chip I used some Arctic Silver ASTA-7G - Premium Silver Thermal Adhesive.

The heatsink/fan combo just fits here (northbridge one), however when you close the tray you'll find one of the metal retention clips that hold a cable running from the bottom stops it from fully going in - I just bent mine down, see the picture:

JRoa0nM.jpg

I had read somewhere that the IBM M1015 card ran quite hot, so I decided to stick a fan on it. The fan is a Noctua NF-A4x10 FLX attached using 2x Akasa AK-MX003 - Siliconized Rubber Fan Pins and tied to secure them around the back:

e5bjnlu.jpg

e5bjnlu.jpg

The copper ramsinks can be found easily enough.

Before I hook up the 3x M9T 2TB 9.5mm drives to the M1015 I am going to set up a blower fan or two like this pointing at them, as per the advice of the bracket designer because the drives up there get warm.

I also stuck a ramsink on a chip you can see on the top left of the board in the image, I forgot what it's for exactly now but I saw it recommended elsewhere as a minor thing to do since that also gets warm.

Another motherboard shot with M1015 card installed:

YnOX9xG.jpg

And finally temperatures, before I started adding fans and such and then then afterwards:

5qYsVoE.png

Hope this is of help to anyone.

• Like 1

I seem to be missing my 'edit' post button, but I just wanted to add that all the additional fans I've added are currently connected using some Noctua low-noise fan adapters, so the loudest thing coming from the case is the main exhaust fan or the HDDs making noise - however I'm going to be moving the server into an empty room once I'm done tweaking it and at that point I'll just let them all run at full speed and maybe even bump up the speed of the stock exhaust fan in the BIOS (I think I saw a setting there for that?) and see what temps I get like that.

(Also noticed I linked a duplicate picture that I can't change now!)

Edited by paradox
  • Like 1

The M9T's park the heads every min or so which rapidly adds to the load cycles

here's my script i use on my win 8.1 machine on every boot

may be of use to you..

off = seagates

254 = samsung

off with samsung's = still park

rem smartctl  -s apm,off /dev/sda (ssd no lcc)

rem smartctl  -s apm,off /dev/sdb (wd used wdidle3)

rem smartctl  -s apm,off /dev/sdc (wd used wdidle3)

smartctl  -s apm,off /dev/sdd  (Seagate)

smartctl  -s apm,off /dev/sde (Seagate)

rem smartctl  -s apm,off /dev/sdf (Toshiba Default lcc disabled)

smartctl  -d sat -s apm,254 /dev/sdg (M9T)

smartctl  -d sat -s apm,254 /dev/sdh (M9T)

smartctl  -d sat -s apm,254 /dev/sdi (M9T)

smartctl  -d sat -s apm,off /dev/sdj (Seagate)

smartctl  -d sat -s apm,254 /dev/sdk (Samsung 2.5")

rem Setting Samsung HM320JI (Backup+) (Holds its setting)

rem smartctl  -d sat -s apm,254 /dev/sdl

rem Setting Backup+ Drives

smartctl  -d sat -s apm,254 /dev/sdm (Toshiba 2.5")

smartctl  -d sat -s apm,254 /dev/sdo(HGST 2.5")

smartctl  -d sat -s apm,off /dev/sdp (Seagate 2.5")

Is that why the one in my PS4 makes a noise all the time? I knew it had to be the HDD.. I'm probably going to use them in a ZFS pool using raidz1, any idea if I need to consider this stuff when using them with FreeNAS like that?

Thanks,

para

Its all a matter of wear generated

all drive manufacturers are doing this now

western digital you can perm disable it or set to 10 mins or whatever

seagate only allow you to temp disable it

same for samsung 2.5" drives

drives are only designed for 300k parks in general

this can be reached in no time in a linux box

as linux touches the drive quite often

drive parks head

right after linux touches it

drive parks head

right after linux touches it

I had a 12 month old wd with over 2 million parks

a few years ago not good due to linux touching the drive and over agressive parking from wd

193 Load_Cycle_Count 0x0032 001 001 000 Old_age Always - 2146839

anyway it wont affect zfs but if you value your drives it needs to be turned off

as this kills drives

wd's the first thing i do is perm disable it with wdidle3

any other drive i disable by script every boot

Toshiba Desktop = Doesnt auto park

Western Digital = 8 Seconds

Seagate Desktop = about 30 seconds

Seagate Portable = about 30 seconds

Samsung M9T = about 30 seconds

Yes that noise in your ps4 is the hd parking

wd parks are silent

seagate chirp parking

samsung clunk parking

here's how to disable it on a wd

d8ebbdd42a1bab2db6e1cc69366e691b6cbcbacf

Edited by Shonk
  • Like 2

early wd reds its set at 8 seconds later ones its 300

i would disable it either way

Alright, I disabled it with the wdidle3 tool on all 4 WD Reds, it was set to 300.

Is that script you use something I can use on FreeNAS? or maybe FreeNAS even just has an option for it, do you know? I'll look into it anyway.

Thanks

I booted into win 8.1 on it and let it idle and then run prime95 for a bit and here are the readings from HWiNFO64:

iux3wZ9.png

Edited by paradox